'74 RI M2M Confusion....?

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
There’ll be always someone buying these. This is enough for Gibson to keep doing it.

ARandall

Reaction score
The original white ones do go for a premium over a regular 74's. But yes, the price for the RI is way more than original.

One of the reasons for the demand is the knowledge you'll have a new guitar over something that may have issues. I think some might like the idea of simply being able to get it without an extensive search.

The M2M bit is new though......I thought this RI was just a regular issue guitar. I wonder what aspects are variable given the solid colour top??

StubbyJ

Reaction score
Music zoo prices are alway a bit to noticeably higher. You may get one for less elsewhere?

Leotis

Reaction score
I suppose there will be plenty of people willing to pay that for one without them needing MY business. Just won't be me. I actually have a reissue already that I paid a sensible sum for, so I wasn't even really looking with an eye to purchase. It just struck me as unusually high because I've seen three or four '74's in recent months for $3.5K-$4K in great condition.

jktxs

Reaction score
These '74 reissues have some '50s specs like long neck tenon and hide glue construction. Plus they're usually lighter than real Norlins (not this particular M2M though)
I think it's M2M because of the custombuckers; they're usually equipped with super '74s.

BSeneca

Reaction score
I have this same issue with most reissues. I would never buy a Brazilian for MORE than I bought my vintage 52 Goldtop. I did just make a trade at the Philly show for an as new 17. It is the nicest reissue I have had. The only thin about 74’s is it is a crap shoot for original no issue Norlins sometime. New custom shop build will be more consisten.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Maybe because some people only buy brand new, ever thought of that? :hmm:

Leotis

Reaction score
Maybe because some people only buy brand new, ever thought of that? :hmm:
Oh no, gosh Tim... you got me there. :rolleyes:

Well, no shit dude... but there's a difference between a guitar that's a few years old and one that's considered vintage. And how, exactly, does "some people only buy brand new" explain pricing a new guitar at nearly twice the cost of vintage? By that logic an R9 would run somewhere around $1,000,000.

Last edited:

Subterfuge

Reaction score
IMHO I think prices are getting wildly stupid, again ? Not that it matters but the guitar discussed in this thread translates to $10,475.26 CDN .. ouch. Wildwood is currently offering a Wildwood Spec 1956 GoldTop ... P-90's equipped Murphy-Painted, Ultra-Aged guitar for the paltry sum of $17,168.72 USD or $22,384.39 CDN .. for a Repro ?? it's getting stupid, there must be a large number of Lottery Winners about ... for the average working man ?? surely you joke ..

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
Some people give a damn about vintage (at the opposite, they want new stuff), but they may be happy with a modern reissue (done with higher standards than Norlin rand-o-rama) of a model that they consider a “hero”, like a 74 LPC, similar to the Randy Rhoads 74 custom, who knows. People does vary a lot, our personal thoughts and preferences are not a benchmark for anything when it’s about guitars. I mean, there is people throwing 5 figures for a 50$ slab of braz rosewood.

Same way, a R9 it’s 2K more, average, than a R8, with zero point zero difference in terms of raw costs. It’s all about milking the cows as much as there is market.

It’s always the same story; everything expensive which isnt in your own market sounds crazy stupid to you (and to me too), while does make perfectly sense for someone else who loves that guitar.

Remember these? 10lb, 14K, Gone.

Last edited:

KS 5150

Reaction score
Ok... somebody help me understand this. Why would I want to pay this much for a reissue when I could almost get two REAL '74's for the same money? :hmm:

1974 RI LPC M2M
You=re absolutely right! I just picked up a real '74 Custom for considerably less than this reissue costs. Why have an imitation when you can have the real thing?!?

IMG_0670.jpg

KS 5150

Reaction score
The original white ones do go for a premium over a regular 74's. But yes, the price for the RI is way more than original.

One of the reasons for the demand is the knowledge you'll have a new guitar over something that may have issues. I think some might like the idea of simply being able to get it without an extensive search.

The M2M bit is new though......I thought this RI was just a regular issue guitar. I wonder what aspects are variable given the solid colour top??
My '74 did have a few minor issues when I got it. A great setup made a huge difference & it slays now.

KS 5150

Reaction score
NICE Rhoads replica, man! :thumb:
Thanks! I've been GASsing over one of these for years now, & with a milestone birthday coming up, it was time to pull the trigger...I did have to sell an '89 Custom, Wolfgang & LP Classic to make it work, but I have absolutely no regrets :thumb:

ARandall

Reaction score
Oh no, gosh Tim... you got me there. :rolleyes:

Well, no shit dude... but there's a difference between a guitar that's a few years old and one that's considered vintage. And how, exactly, does "some people only buy brand new" explain pricing a new guitar at nearly twice the cost of vintage? By that logic an R9 would run somewhere around $1,000,000.
They're not pricing it in relation to the old ones (why on earth you think that would be the case stumps me really), they're pricing according to how much it costs to make it themselves and the prestige value (like everything else any company does). By your absurd implied logic the sale price of the 74RI would come in below even what the wood costs compared to the R9 and R0 to vintage price.
All of the RI's are in a similar bracket price wise, with some a bit less and some considerably more depending on certain additions and limited run status.

Leotis

Reaction score
Whatever, dude. If you think it costs them ANYWHERE near $7K to manufacture one of those then I'm not even going to dignify that with a response. What is ACTUALLY absurd is the way you interpreted my post.

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
Price of CS guitars has really NOTHING to do with production costs. Never worked that way, never will.

Leotis

Reaction score
Price of CS guitars has really NOTHING to do with production costs. Never worked that way, never will.
Right... that wasn't necessarily my assertion. My point was that the R8's, 9's & 0's command the prices they do partially because they are purportedly made as closely as possible to the way the originals were made, with materials as close as possible to original (or at least the marketing would have you believe that). The originals are as desirable as they are partly because of their rarity and partly because they're generally regarded as being the pinnacle of Gibson's craftsmanship and as possessing the pinnacle of Gibson tone by a vast majority. So, the idea is that the extra measures taken and the higher quality of materials required to attempt to replicate these grail instruments come at a premium. The other part of that equation is that compared to the cost of buying an original, a reissue seems reasonably priced by comparison. So... given that most of us don't have the disposable income to purchase an original burst, a reissue is as close as we're likely to get.
Now... I don't think anyone here is going to argue that an original Norlin '74 LPC represents the same level of craftsmanship or quality of materials as an original burst. So, why then do you think it's so "absurd" that I question why anyone would pay $7K for a replica of one? I'd argue that a run-of-the-mill LP Std manufactured today utilized higher quality materials than that Norlin Custom of yesteryear and they're, what, $2500 now? So why then would that '74 RI be worth more than your typical R9...M2M or not? How is my questioning that so ridiculous?

BTW, PierM, that isn't really directed at you...it's moreso to Mr Condescension....

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
Right... that wasn't necessarily my assertion. My point was that the R8's, 9's & 0's command the prices they do partially because they are purportedly made as closely as possible to the way the originals were made, with materials as close as possible to original (or at least the marketing would have you believe that). The originals are as desirable as they are partly because of their rarity and partly because they're generally regarded as being the pinnacle of Gibson's craftsmanship and as possessing the pinnacle of Gibson tone by a vast majority. So, the idea is that the extra measures taken and the higher quality of materials required to attempt to replicate these grail instruments come at a premium. The other part of that equation is that compared to the cost of buying an original, a reissue seems reasonably priced by comparison. So... given that most of us don't have the disposable income to purchase an original burst, a reissue is as close as we're likely to get.
Now... I don't think anyone here is going to argue that an original Norlin '74 LPC represents the same level of craftsmanship or quality of materials as an original burst. So, why then do you think it's so "absurd" that I question why anyone would pay $7K for a replica of one? I'd argue that a run-of-the-mill LP Std manufactured today utilized higher quality materials than that Norlin Custom of yesteryear and they're, what, $2500 now? So why then would that '74 RI be worth more than your typical R9...M2M or not? How is my questioning that so ridiculous?

BTW, PierM, that isn't really directed at you...it's moreso to Mr Condescension....
My last comment wasnt disagreeing with you at all. In fact, I do totally agree price of that guitar it’s totally nonsense, not related to costs in any way. Despite that, that’s gonna sell anyway, ’cause there is market for anything out there.

I NEVER pay full price tho.