'73-'74 Les Paul Deluxe Cherry

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
I was given this LP to evaluate for a trade, it has lots of issues but the mini HB sound fantastic, this have the decal PAT.No. and they sound very PAF like.

slug_maine

Reaction score
Looks good. Think it should have the double ring tuners, bo biggie. Whats those gouges right above the nut?

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
Looks pretty nice! What are the issues?
Basically only the pickups and the tail piece studs are original hardware wise

The "volute" has been sanded as well as the serial and MIUSA letters. The neck was not well sanded, the biding in the fingerboard was left too thin, frets have been replaced. Back and sides where refinished. The neck heel and joint was sanded. The area of the input jack was repaired with a mahogany insert.

But the one thing that has me worried is the trussrod, its basically doing not much, I have tightness as far as it can go and I still have a bit of forward neck bow, but the guitar is playable and I would say fairly well, this let me test the pickup after I did a full new wiring on it and man those mini HB sound amazing, all positions are old sounding classic Les Paul.

I really don't minds the "pancake" body, its a 2 piece top and looks fantastic, 3 piece neck and its a fat neck that feels great in the hand.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Basically only the pickups and the tail piece studs are original hardware wise

The "volute" has been sanded as well as the serial and MIUSA letters. The neck was not well sanded, the biding in the fingerboard was left too thin, frets have been replaced. Back and sides where refinished. The neck heel and joint was sanded. The area of the input jack was repaired with a mahogany insert.

But the one thing that has me worried is the trussrod, its basically doing not much, I have tightness as far as it can go and I still have a bit of forward neck bow, but the guitar is playable and I would say fairly well, this let me test the pickup after I did a full new wiring on it and man those mini HB sound amazing, all positions are old sounding classic Les Paul.

I really don't minds the "pancake" body, its a 2 piece top and looks fantastic, 3 piece neck and its a fat neck that feels great in the hand.
Those are some serious issues,....though for a player and the right price/trade value i would love to have it....rare two piece top with a bit of figure is really nice.... great tone is another plus. Depends on the $$$.

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
Those are some serious issues,....though for a player and the right price/trade value i would love to have it....rare two piece top with a bit of figure is really nice.... great tone is another plus. Depends on the $$$.
Until now, I have never checked the prices for this specific models and WOW its a bit insane to be honest 3K, 4K etc.

Unfortunately I'm really digging this guitar and the owner is willing to trade it for another guitar or an Amp, I just have to decide what I am going to offer him.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Until now, I have never checked the prices for this specific models and WOW its a bit insane to be honest 3K, 4K etc.

Unfortunately I'm really digging this guitar and the owner is willing to trade it for another guitar or an Amp, I just have to decide what I am going to offer him.
Yeah,... i don't see this reaching those high $$$ amounts,... but given the market that it is today and the issues that you mentioned....it would be reasonable at $2k.....Just my opinion......though i'm sure others would press for more....i don't see it.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
I wouldn't give you close to 2K for it what all of those neck/board/TR issues....not even close.

sanded heel and joint? Hog plug in the lower bout?

It has been dropped....maybe even down a flight of stairs, or off a cliff....I am not kidding.

IF the TR can be saved....it is a $1000-$1100 guitar in the US.

Now, about that date???

Last edited:

kakerlak

Reaction score
That bridge looks so low that the studs are sitting proud of the top of the bridge body, which might mean it's been filed down. If the neck has excessive bow that the truss rod can't correct and it's been sanded down to nothing, you might be in reneck territory. I'd pass on this one at basically any price beyond the value of the pickups.

Latest Threads