72 Custom side dots

wolfmaster19

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently acquired a 72 Custom and noticed there are no side dots for frets 17, 19 and 21

Is this typical of this production period ?

Did a search but found nothing

ARandall

Reaction score
Can you post more pics of this guitar. The 12th fret ones are not right either.

kakao

Reaction score
Not typical, the dots should be there ..

horand

Reaction score
Might be refretted and because of that, the original binding was lost/destructed and new, not original binding/dots was received.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Something not right about that. Not saying it's fake, but someone definitely messed with it.

Look at the "nibs"/edge of the binding along the last few frets, and along the bottom edge of the fretboard. Totally off.

wolfmaster19

Reaction score
Might be refretted and because of that, the original binding was lost/destructed and new, not original binding/dots was received.
it was refretted once by it's previous owner, i just wasn't sure about those dots

rockstar232007 said:
Something not right about that. Not saying it's fake, but someone definitely messed with it.

Look at the "nibs"/edge of the binding along the last few frets, and along the bottom edge of the fretboard. Totally off.
yes sombody definitely messed with it

the logo and split diamond appear to be authentic, real mop

the neck seems to be mahogany although i cannot make out if its 1 or 3 piece, any way to check for pancake body without messing up the paint job ?

i'll post a few more detailed pics

EDIT: i asked the seller and he said the dots were sanded off when it was refinished

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
look inside the cavities for the pancake

look inside the TRC for the color of the wood of the neck

look and post pics of the back of the headstock and neck from a couple different angles, sometimes you can see the pieces of the neck.

I think they tried to save the nibs in the re-fret and just did a so-so job (of course, it can't be easy).

the dots are just shoddy workmanship during the refinish/refret IMO

Progrocker111

Reaction score
Are you really sure its 72 Custom? The frets seem to me to be too high. Dot markers definitely should be there too. Perhaps refret and repaired binding? :hmm:

Latest Threads