70's Orange pics only OR 80 !

jojo

Reaction score
I've been wanting one of these for years ! Pics only OR 80. I had a 74 OR 120, but I really like this one better. VERY versatile , takes pedals well. Has great cleans and can get pretty knarly too ! Got an excellent deal on it and couldn't pass it up.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
Nice find! I love the looks of those old Orange amps. It's my type of amp.....simple and very effective.

Classicplayer

Gridlock

Reaction score
Very cool amp.

My amp collection is missing an Orange. I have a Marshall, Mesa, and Fender. I’ve owned five Oranges, my favorite was an old version Rocker 30 combo. Like to have that back.

Last edited:

jojo

Reaction score
Thanks guys !

QUOTE="Gridlock, post: 8879550, member: 60418"]Very cool amp.

My amp collection is missing an Orange. I have a Marshall, Mesa, and Fender. I’ve owned five oranges, my favorite was a old version Rocker 30 combo. Like to have that back.[/QUOTE] .

I've had a bunch of Orange amps over the years. The one I regret getting rid of was my old rocker 30 head. Actually I've been wanting another one since I have enough higher wattage amps but I couldn't pass this up.

Caoimhin

Reaction score
How is the gain on OR80/120? I've always stuck with modern Orange amps because I like to have a lot of gain without using pedals.

Off Topic: Does anyone think we'll see a new 100w tube amp for Oranges 50th this year?

Classicplayer

Reaction score
How is the gain on OR80/120? I've always stuck with modern Orange amps because I like to have a lot of gain without using pedals.

Off Topic: Does anyone think we'll see a new 100w tube amp for Oranges 50th this year?
Good point re: “gain without using pedals”. I prefer the Rock and “clean” tones on my Orange amp without pedals. I guess I'm old school and boring, but these modern Orange amps (I use a Dark Terror) have so many colors in their gain structure, I just cannot see papering them over with dirt from a pedal, which in many cases is producing and adding to an already great sound.

Classicplayer

jojo

Reaction score

It’s very “classic rock “ sounding mainly. (also does doom and stoner rock tones, esp w pedals) The OR 120 was super clean until volume was dimed , then it had a good rock tone but was beyond loud . I’m in really, really loud bands but it was too loud unless you use a pedal. The OR 80 gets dirty at lower volumes . I always choose dirt and fuzz pedals that don’t take away from the amps natural tones but adds fuzz/gain or distortion.