70's Les Paul @ Sam Ash

phastestgunn

Reaction score
So... I was in Sam Ash Richmond, Va this weekend and they had a black LP w/ gold harware from the 70's. It had a few battle scars (nothing real bad) but it had the second best action on any guitar I've played in 40 years! Super low and zero fret buzz. It had coil splitting for both pickups with a super comfortable slim-taper type neck. This is a real player's guitar. Seems like it belonged to a gigging guitarist. Whoever set it up did a fantastic job. My question is, what is it worth? They're asking $1299 for it.

BMS

Reaction score
Sounds like a good deal? But what is it? Custom, Standard, Deluxe? What year is it? More info could set you in the direction of a great deal.

Tarz N Amps

Reaction score
That sounds real cheap for a Custom, Std, or Dlx. coming form a retail store.

What is it and send some pics.

phastestgunn

Reaction score
It had deluxe on the TRC. Black with trapezoid inlays, nice yellowed binding, gold hardware and waffleback keystone tuners. The only thing that was off was the pickguard didn't reach all the way to the bridge pickup. Odd looking but I've seen it somewhere before. I'm 90 miles away now. I'll try to call and get the serial number tommorrow. I was hoping someone lived in the area and would know what they were looking at. It really played well, intonation right, coil taps worked as they should. Not a showroom classic, but one that's been around the block. Really sweet sound! If the price is right it would make a great guitar to have in your stable.

shtdaprdtr

Reaction score
It had deluxe on the TRC. Black with trapezoid inlays, nice yellowed binding, gold hardware and waffleback keystone tuners. The only thing that was off was the pickguard didn't reach all the way to the bridge pickup. Odd looking but I've seen it somewhere before. I'm 90 miles away now. I'll try to call and get the serial number tommorrow. I was hoping someone lived in the area and would know what they were looking at. It really played well, intonation right, coil taps worked as they should. Not a showroom classic, but one that's been around the block. Really sweet sound! If the price is right it would make a great guitar to have in your stable.
If the pickguard didnt reach..that means it was a deluxe converted to humbuckers...like this one:

shtdaprdtr

Reaction score
Let me guess, previously owned by an 80's rocker?
Thank god only a Kahler and not an all the way Floyd route....so she was salvageable....tonally you'd never know..it screams from an Ebony fingerboard yet is still very warm (well mainly cause the route missed the bridge anchors)

shtdaprdtr

Reaction score
but my guess is you were looking at a modified Deluxe..which I would still go for..attach Gibson and Les Paul to any guitar and it wont be less than a grand (Okay I paid 750 for my tobacco stripped last year but that was a shot in the dark)

marantz1300

Reaction score
If I was you ,I would have bought it already.Your going to miss out if your not quick.

phastestgunn

Reaction score
More info ...the serial number is 186982, no volute. It was an estate buyout. Oh, it has a brass nut too. I wanted to pull the trigger bad, but I've got 12 guitars at home and I'm having to replace my whole air conditioning unit at home today. Where are these deals when you have expendable cash in pocket? :mad:

Tarz N Amps

Reaction score
I guess $1,200 is just ok for a modified Deluxe. For an original Std or Custom it would have been a steal and not there anymore (ie. sold).

WoodyTone

Reaction score
Did you buy it and if not can you pm me the # of the store?!

BMS

Reaction score
I put a request in earlier today for some pics from the store. Awaiting pics as we speak.

phastestgunn

Reaction score
Wow, you guys are on top of things. I talked to Gibson and the guy said he thought it was an early 70's model. I tried the serial number lookup but didn't find anything. All I know is, it played fantastic. I hope an MLP'er gets it.

jrnic

Reaction score
Where are the coil tap switches? Were they installed by the vol/tone pots or are they push-pull pots? Also, what kind of pickups are in it? I've seen many 70's LP's with those mini switches stuck between the contols. If that's the case, I can see why the price is on the low end. That and the probable fact that it was routed for humbuckers. Far from original condition. But that's the great thing about LP's. They still are great even with those little modifications.

jrnic

Reaction score
If the pickguard didnt reach..that means it was a deluxe converted to humbuckers...like this one:

Even with that kahler hole filled, that is one kick-ass LP! I would love to have it!!!

phastestgunn

Reaction score
The toggles were mounted by the lower tone and volume knobs. Pretty handy I thought. One may be for splitting coils and the other for out of phase according to the sales rep. I didn't hear any stratty-tones, just cleaner and brighter when you used them. If I had the bones I be all over it. Grreat feeling guitar, makes you want to play it...Might be MOJO!.

Tarz N Amps

Reaction score
I talked to a "very knowledgable" sales intern there who didn't know much about it. He asked another volunteer and told me that it was a 1980's Deluxe
all original except the coil tap switch/switches. Even those humbuckers are original! :naughty:

Didn't seem like a good deal at $1299.

Latest Threads