70s can’t be that bad.....

GearHo

Reaction score
Recently I offered three Les Paul’s to a dealer, looking to turn them into another Guitar or cash. Two were higher end historics , the other a 76 LP custom.

The guitar they were interested in the most, and willing to buy outright was the 76, the other two were consignment deals only.

this was a well known dealer in Nashville, nice people, but I was surprised at the interest being directed at the 76, due to the reputation of that era of Gibson. In fact I just threw out the 76 as an afterthought , my feeling was it would be over looked and the historics would be the main attraction. Both historics are higher end guitars a cc model and a Murphy aged Rossington.

so are times changing regarding these seventies guitars, or is this just weird?

mudface

Boo Bee
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 1978 Custom that I bought in 1980 and still in use today.... it served me well through the ‘80s.... I also have a 1977 Custom that lived a charmed life and it has the most amazing sound.

Wouldn’t give either one up... I have a few Historics that are amazing as well.

Norlin era Gibson’s have been given a bum rep over the years..... and those of us who actually experienced these instruments have tried to keep it that way.... use that rep to get them cheap.

Though I will admit there was some turds in every bunch.... no different in recent years.

There had been some interest in them lately..... Randy Rhodes.... Zack Wylde.... and Adam Jones just to name a few to have laid a spark.

There’s that and just the fact those old 70s Norlins are still around..... they haven’t disintegrated under the horrendous construction that has often been their reputation.....;)

.....unearned reputation I might add.

Tdurden032

Reaction score
I had an ‘83 LP Studio in Alpine white (I think those were the last Norton years) it wasn’t without its problems, but I got attached to that guitar. At any rate, I sold it, made a pretty nice chunk of change on the sale, but I’m still kicking myself for getting rid of it - that’s probably the “one” guitar that got away from me - I keep hunting for an early 80’s studio to try and replace it, hopefully those Norlin prices stay compressed...

GearHo

Reaction score
Maybe you were asking too much for them.
Actually Tim, we never discussed numbers they wanted to buy the custom outright, which still might happen. The historics were to be consigned only. This seemed odd as I thought it would be the opposite

slug_maine

Reaction score
I recently sold a 73 Deluxe with a headstock repair, non original SD p90's, and a nasty looking natural relic finish for just under $2500 and the buyer loves it.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only problem I have with them is the necks were too thin, other than that me likey.

ARandall

Reaction score
There is no objective reason why any Les Paul era of production is bad.
The 70's certainly featured iconic and unique construction details, as well as pickups very different to vintage (and reissue) construction.
Certainly if your only tonal goal is along the line of what vintage will give you then that era will probably disappoint. But modern amps and the variety of music styles about mean there are guitars for everything.

But the 70's are guitars that are not 'superceded' by the next year's production.....the way reissues continually get upspecced. Holding onto a 70's guitar in stock most likely will result in a greater selling price as that is what is going on at the moment generally speaking. Reissues will gradually go lower in price.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
I wouldnt mind a Norlin some play very nice.

Latest Threads