'70 Fender Princeton Silverface volume loss

cain61

Reaction score
Hi,

This particular amp is the tube non-reverb model with vibrato. It's a great little amp with great clean tone, and when I was playing last night, it suddenly lost volume - nada, no sound at all turning the knob back and forth. Tried plugging into the second input with the same result (the amp power light was still glowing, as the tubes seemed to be as well.

I pulled the fuse, which promptly broke (replaced fuse). I then removed the chassis and blew it out with some compressed air, still nothing. I live in a very rural area and don't have anyone I can feasibly take it to.

Does anyone have any advice on what to check? It still has the original two-prong plug and kind of an odd three-position ground switch (why?)

Anyway, I'd sure appreciate some advice.

Thanks,

Cain

rabidhamster

Reaction score
Perhaps a preamp tube went out. Possibly the power tubes went but t's doubtful. Any weird noises before the sound went out?
No crackling, popping, rushing noise now turned up full blast?

Axeman16

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
dont get snarky, post in the proper forum.

post in the squawk box forum.

cain61

Reaction score
I guess someone was nice enough to move it over in the Squawk Box Forum for me. Thanks for the advice. Because it has the original tubes, I pulled them and applied some contact cleaner, voila. works. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Cain

edselman

Reaction score
Power tube going out. They fade in and out then just out.

G Man

Reaction score
Late to the party, but based on how my 1970 SFPR died last week, I would say pre-amp tube as well. Swapped out V1 and back in business. Old tubes do indeed eventually die.

Latest Threads