6v6 tube advice for an EL34-ish sound?

MCT

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’ve acquired a lovely Hi-Tone Lowatt SAP combo, which is absolutely stunning, and am trying to figure out which brand of power tubes to put in it. It came with JJ’s 6V6S’s, which are fine, but I’m curious if there’s a more EL34-sounding type of 6v6 out there? Obviously, I’m trying to get as close to that Hiwatt Mullard EL34 tone as I can!

dc007

Premium Member
Reaction score
If I had to speculate I would say the JJ would be the more marshally sounding. That is a stronger mid range presence to it. The Ruby 6v6 would probably be more polite in the midrange. Is the amp new or just new to you. If it is indeed new might want to let it burn in a while and settle into its sound. I don't know much about this amp but did a little research and I would suppose it would react very well to preamp tube changes which is what I usually do first when I want to experiment. The original SAP Hiwatt ran with KT88 tubes.....just fyi
Good luck and nice amp. I enjoyed the demo on the website

Gary

Reaction score
JJ 6V6S tubes sound like a 6L6GC to me. Old RCA or GE tubes should sound warmer. All are beam power tubes, whereas EL34 are power pentodes. Other options for you may be to try 6K6 or 6F6 tubes.

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
The tubes themselves don't hold the keys to the sound. EL84 amps sound the way they do because of the circuit, then el84s were used because that was what was available.