69 Les Paul Logo Restoration

noahlespaul

Reaction score
Hey! I have a 69 Les Paul and the Gibson silk screen is flaking off. Does anyone know someone who restores these? Preferable in nyc!

Thanks,
Noah
66422542542__A2EEF7EC-8DBA-465F-BD9F-C1BE6EF4F212.jpg

ajory72

Reaction score
Hey! I have a 69 Les Paul and the Gibson silk screen is flaking off. Does anyone know someone who restores these? Preferable in nyc!

Thanks,
Noah View attachment 585300
Hi there and welcome to the forum, unfortunately only the Les Paul logo is silkscreened on the guitar in this picture. The Gibson logo is mother of pearl normally and in production they used to take a lot of skill in makin git look correct.. When the lacquer ages it yellows slightly and can crack, which is what you are seeing fall off here. Maybe send it to Gibson to be fixed if you are in the states?

Nick-O

Reaction score
There are also competent builders on this forum who can direct you specifically. Gibson is not a choice I would make, but that's just an opinion.

ARandall

Reaction score
This form of logo is the more unusual one.....as in the MOP is not shaped like the letters, but is a block. Then a stencil is placed over it and the black sprayed over the top. Once the stencil is removed the resultant untouched MOP forms the word Gibson.
You will have to get the repairer to remake a stencil and spray only the affected part both with black and then some tinted clear over the top - and then feather it into the existing clearcoats. Its a bit more laborious than usual.

decoy205

Reaction score
Interesting i didn’t even know they did them that way. I would just leave it. It’s mojo. If you have to do it you need to find a really skilled repair person that can match the aging around the repair.

Latest Threads