69' Jr with a MM guard fun

61LPSG

Reaction score
DW,
You need to put some screws in those pickguard holes ASAP.
All the tonez are leaking out.:Ohno:

Seriously, cool guitar. I had a 68or 69 Special and it was great sounding. I should never have sold it.
Enjoy that baby.

judson

Reaction score
doctor can you help me...i have tone leak

dont know how i got it or from who

but its killing me

kezian

Reaction score
im curious, how did this happen? im guessing there once was a sticker or decal on there that has since been removed. how can this affect the plastic's reaction to uv light though

deadlyweasel

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
im curious, how did this happen? im guessing there once was a sticker or decal on there that has since been removed. how can this affect the plastic's reaction to uv light though
My thought is the glue residue from the sticker. Either that or the sticker was on there for an extended period of time and that spot received less exposure to if light.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
You won't get "tone leak" from the missing guard screws, but you might get guard shrink. Old plastic tends to shrink in not fully secured.

deadlyweasel

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Its a really killer guitar. Its one of my favorite playing and sounding guitars

deadlyweasel

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard this a couple times, pot codes are 69' and no made in the USA stamp, but could totally be any where in that range. Either way, i love it! Lol

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
I've heard this a couple times, pot codes are 69' and no made in the USA stamp, but could totally be any where in that range. Either way, i love it! Lol
Probably an early to mid 1970 then. The thing with Gibson in that era is that each feature came in on its own schedule; they didn't just suddenly put the MIA stamp, volute and new logo on every SG built after the stroke of midnight on December 29th, 1969.

In fact, the volutes gradually "grew" to their full size throughout the year. The MIA stamp in particular didn't appear until late in the year 1970.

Here is a guide to the changes: https://solidguitar.fandom.com/wiki/Dating#Other_Changes

deadlyweasel

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Probably an early to mid 1970 then. The thing with Gibson in that era is that each feature came in on its own schedule; they didn't just suddenly put the MIA stamp, volute and new logo on every SG built after the stroke of midnight on December 29th, 1969.

In fact, the volutes gradually "grew" to their full size throughout the year. The MIA stamp in particular didn't appear until late in the year 1970.

Here is a guide to the changes: https://solidguitar.fandom.com/wiki/Dating#Other_Changes

Nice thanks for the link! This one in particular is a conundrum, it has the full headstock, but a MM guard, i can't see any screwholes behind the studs where it would have had them if it ever had a Jr guard on it.

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
Nice thanks for the link! This one in particular is a conundrum, it has the full headstock, but a MM guard, i can't see any screwholes behind the studs where it would have had them if it ever had a Jr guard on it.
Oh, I assumed you had modified it. I have seen a considerable amount of variation on MMs and Juniors around that time, but have not studied them in depth. The 1970 catalog only shows MMs with four knobs so that is indeed a mystery. Although they did often leave models off the catalogs... maybe there was a single pickup version with only two knobs?

EDIT: Yes, it seems there was! Found this:

"At $195, the single pickup Melody Maker was the least expensive electric guitar offered by Gibson in 1970."

And the 2 pickup version pictured shows a full size headstock.

deadlyweasel

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, I assumed you had modified it. I have seen a considerable amount of variation on MMs and Juniors around that time, but have not studied them in depth. The 1970 catalog only shows MMs with four knobs so that is indeed a mystery. Although they did often leave models off the catalogs... maybe there was a single pickup version with only two knobs?

EDIT: Yes, it seems there was! Found this:

"At $195, the single pickup Melody Maker was the least expensive electric guitar offered by Gibson in 1970."

And the 2 pickup version pictured shows a full size headstock.

Hmmm well, this definitely has a cherry finish, not a walnut finish and has a massive chunky neck. It is a mystery!!! But it kicks tons of ass. It's easily one of my best.