68 UN-official LP Custom

shark

Reaction score
the 68 Guitar Center limited edition Flametops arent R.I'd bec of the Sunburst finish I'm told

a 68 down to the nut otherwise..

You begin to realize how different one paul can sound next to another when you really start to enjoy the guitars sound...

but anyway did a little vid of it using D'Addz 11's, drop tuned to low open Csus2

otherwise its clean of all processing so you can hear the BALLZ without the garbage other than my playing :)

so if you like a guitar with big ballz that wont wear you out try a 68 LP R.I or even a GC 68 U.R.I

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rok_RJjOOo]YouTube - kyliewin.wmv[/ame]

(using a stereo memory man to make the loop ooops ) :)

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
Actually, the GC models aren't limited edition. Great guitars though, even the GC ones...

The most consistently good Les Pauls they make as far as I can tell.

Nice playing. :)

shark

Reaction score
hmm okey not limited, but Gibson they are still making them for guitar center?

lots of controversy over these still even from Gibson forum Admin

I'm not entirely sure why the '68s have never been put under the Reissue umbrella, because in terms of specs and "historic accuracy" they are as close to the originals as any of our Reissue LPs. i think it's really just a semantic issue. the guitar you have has many of the same features that "official" Reissues have, and is fairly accurate to what Gibson was doing in '68...

It's kind of like the situation we have with the plaintop 1960 LP we do exclusively for Guitar Center...that guitar has all the specs of a normal Historic 1960 Reissue LP (except for the plain top and serial number format), but we do not consider it a Historic Reissue either.
make it even more a curious factor instrument :dude:

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
I explain everything here... That's after lusting for them since they first appeared in 2000...

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/historics-reissues/81314-68-custom-vos-info.html

I have three.. All of them non-GC.. The GC models are distinguishable by their snow white binding(non-yellowed lacquer), slim necks, and taller, skinnier frets... They don't have special serial numbers like G0s..

Yes, they still crank out a lot of them for GC.. Mine always has at least one and sometimes two and three in stock at a time since 2005.

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
You could call the model in general limited edition I guess.. They do limited runs every year, which is why they're not on Gibson's website, but from what I can tell, most of them go to GC. I can't really call that a limited edition.

shark

Reaction score
thanks thats great stuff :)
everyone that plays these guitars are like WTH you got in that thing ?..they are sweet indeed and you have 3 I'm jealous !!

Ill have to check my C.O.A. and see what it says on it now too..:)

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
It should say '68 Custom F or simply '68 Custom... What year is it?

shark

Reaction score
68 Custom F is exactly what the C.O.A says :) and its a 2006 ..

and jim you wont be disappointed, like my friend who wanted one also and couldn't find one so he ended up with a used Gibson Robot.

So hang in there and don't settle for less

the robot sounds fine but next to the 68 in an A/B situation the 68 rulez :slash:

mraajr

Reaction score
My 68' Triburst has the slim neck but also aged binding. What does that mean Bole?

mraajr

Reaction score
Yea thats what I thought. My Ebony had a huge neck and aged binding. But I figured with the slimmer neck this was a GC special or whatever but was thrown by the aged binding un it. It looks factory too because it is very uniform

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
Can you trace its history? I'm assuming you didn't buy it new from GC... :laugh2: I guess some of them could have gone to GC with aged lacquer, but I've never seen one.. I think it's more likely that you just found a freak. These don't really follow any rules like Historics.

mraajr

Reaction score
THats what I kinda like about these. Historic build specs (for the most part), but then different necks/hardware/finishes. I think they should make a 68 Historic though too. :dude:

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
Yep, they've got all the parts now to do it... Waffle-back Klusons, witch hats.. They would need gold hardware and be mostly under 10 lbs...

They could easily do an Historic '68.

LongBeach

Reaction score
Yea thats what I thought. My Ebony had a huge neck and aged binding. But I figured with the slimmer neck this was a GC special or whatever but was thrown by the aged binding un it. It looks factory too because it is very uniform
My 08 Ebony has a huge neck.
And, agreed, these are bad-arse guitars, its my favorite.
But, I dont care for the piss colored binding.

roadhog96

Reaction score
The 1st 68RI Custom I played had the 50's fat neck, it was at a small Gibson Dealer guitar shop. I went to Guitar Center and found one there it had the 60's slim taper neck. Between the two I personally liked the GC's neck better that's why I went with that one. If I had larger hands the 50's neck probably would have felt better but unfortunately I don't so the 60 neck fit's much better for me. The necks very close to the feel and size of my other guitars so it worked out good. As far as the binding color goes it has a slightly yellow tint from the Amber top coat. This guitar is the Tri-Burst Flame top. I saw another one and the binding was a little darker yellow than the one I bought. You could see were the binding had a little to much buffing and the Amber was worn off in two small spots on the headstock and the white binding was visible in those areas. The COA says 68 Custom F. I've seen a few of these at several GC's that I have visited in my state and out of state and the Tri-Burst Flame tops can vary in appearance a little. I like the Flame top on the one I have better than most of the ones I have seen so far. One thing I found is when you photograph Tri-Burst guitars you can't use a flash, just use natural light otherwise it washes out the colors to much. The guitar looks so different in natural lighting. Most of the pictures I have seen of Tri-Burst guitars look horrible because of poor photography. If I didn't own this guitar and I had to judge it from most of the pictures I have seen, I wouldn't want it. Seeing it in person is a totally different experience. The way this guitar sounds is unbelievable. I've upgraded the electronics with a RS Vintage Kit and 50's wiring. The tone is so versatile now and the 57 Classics are staying. I'm using 10-48 strings. It's a keeper for sure.

Latest Threads