68 GT jackplate

blueheeler

Reaction score
Would anybody have a pic of an original 68 GT jackplate? I recently purchased one off the bay,but im not sure if it's correct.I'd like to know the correct color and if the edges are square or rolled.

68jackplate1.jpg

68jackplate2.jpg

northernguy

Reaction score
I had that one in my watch list, but forgot about it until after the auction ended. Good to see that a fellow forum member won it. I'm also looking for one to replace the metal plate on my Goldtop.

Mike60

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Red Baron should have some pics...

I do somewhere but can't find them.

LPPILOT

Reaction score
I always thought they were made of the same material as the pickguard in 1968 with the sharper edges :hmm: ... as opposed to molded style.?

blueheeler

Reaction score
FANTASTIC! Thanks 'northernguy', 'Mike60' and 'LPPILOT' for your posts. No one on the other forum wants to know about it.
'nothernguy', 'LPPILOT': I'm really not sure if this one is correct. Any jackplate pics avaliable seem to indicate a white-ish colour and square edges. There is another one avaliable on eBay Japan - but it is the same style as this one.
'Mike60': I have spoken to Chris ('Red Baron') about this and he seems to agree about the white-ish colour. I really need to see some good jackplate pics from an unmolested '68.
Thanks again for your interest. Would appriciate some more info if you have any.

LPPILOT

Reaction score
This is a replacement I bought 20 years ago , I bought it at a show and was told it was a real 68 plate....at any rate It matched the same type plastic in the pickguard . It doesn't have that molded look about it at all, . Good luck on your hunt.

Z2872-744spdknob001.jpg

Mike60

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Okay...Found the pics...'68 and '69 plates...

1968...photo courtesy of Red Baron..

68Jackplate.jpg

69gold552113jp.jpg

Red Baron

Reaction score
Yep good comparison Mike, and it makes sense when you think about it - 68's have cut guards and the jackplates are the same, but 69's have molded guards and it's easy to see that the jackplate on your 69 is molded, the same as the one Mark has purchased (has the mold impressions on the back).

Mike60

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
the photo of the '69 is from 552xxx.

My '69 is missing the original jackplate so I can't say for certain whether it would have been the molded type.I highly doubt it as it has otherwise all the original rolled plastic on it like the '68's including the pickguard.

blueheeler

Reaction score
Yep good comparison Mike, and it makes sense when you think about it - 68's have cut guards and the jackplates are the same, but 69's have molded guards and it's easy to see that the jackplate on your 69 is molded, the same as the one Mark has purchased (has the mold impressions on the back).

Yes,good call Chris.That seems to make sense.The pics i posted are a poor reflection of the colour-it's actually very cream coloured,almost butter yellow.
Thanks for the pics guys and your help.If anyone has a pic of a genuine 68 jackplate-please post! :)

Latest Threads