'68 Custom VOS Info?

glorioso

Reaction score
Any info out there on the 1968 Custom VOS? Gibson pretends it doesn't exist. No mention on their website etc...I just bought one and LOVE it! I just can't figure why they picked the '68 to reissue. i know it was the 1st year back with Les Paul, but is that it? There needs to be more.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Look at the specs of a '57 Custom, add a maple cap & '57 Classics.

Bes628

Reaction score
i have yet to run across one of these for sale.

LongBeach

Reaction score
They are not considered Re-issues by Gibson.
I own the ebony vos, its an 08, and my favorite LP.
Why Gibson doesnt acknowledge them, who knows.

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
Think of them as regular Customs with Historic upgrades. They're very limited, which is why they are not on Gibson's site. And the GC ones don't count, Timmeh. :rolleyes::laugh2::laugh2: They do not have Ebony or Classic White VOS '68s... All other colors are gloss.

mraajr

Reaction score
They are not considered Re-issues by Gibson.
I own the ebony vos, its an 08, and my favorite LP.
Why Gibson doesnt acknowledge them, who knows.

I am not disagreeing but I find it funny the COA says 68RI

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
Hey, the man said he's never seen any for sale. I just showed him one site where they are.
Well, he asked about VOS... Only the black and white ones come in VOS and GC has neither. :laugh2:

Saul at Centre City gets a few a year and Jeff's Guitar Vault seems to get quite a few as well.

glorioso

Reaction score
How can it possible be a 68 and not a RI? That doesn't make sense. Anyway, thanks guys. I feel I got a deal. Never played, black (Original LP color), nickel hardware, VOS etc... $2400. $1K less than a used "Rip Off" Center (advertised). There are a few on Ebay and I think it's a decent investment because there are so few, especially black and non GC. Like you said, it's basically a '57 with a maple top, which I prefer anyway.

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
They are considered reissues, they're not considered Historic reissues. There's a difference.

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
sort of like the SG 61 RI ?
Well, the '61RI SG is a USA guitar... The '68RI is a Custom Shop guitar with all the same features as other Historics. Long tenon, no weight relief, etc... They are not, however, historically accurate enough to be considered Historics.

Like I said earlier... Think of them as regular(modern) Customs with Historic upgrades. Or another way to see them would be '57RIs with maple tops, '57 Classics, and a ton of color options.

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
As far as I know, real 1968 Customs only came in black with gold hardware, with the exception of a few specially ordered in white... Which is maybe why only black and white '68RIs come in VOS. Gloss is not even an option for those colors and the black ones all have nickel hardware.

1968 Customs didn't come with two different styles of Grovers or reflectors and speed knobs. :laugh2: They certainly weren't made in burst finishes with highly figured tops!

So they really aren't accurate enough for the Historic line. That's one reason why every single one of them made gets a Custom Shop logo on the backs of their headstocks and Historics do not.

unclenine

Reaction score
any 68 custom VOS owner can tell me the weight of this guitar ? thanks.

Latest Threads