'67 SG Standard ABR bridge Facing the Wrong Way?

davidos

Reaction score
I have a new to me '67 SG Standard. One thing I have noticed is that the ABR slot screws are facing the Maestro. Googling the same guitar I see a mix of pics where the bridge is facing the pickups and also facing the tailpiece.

Right now - facing the tailpiece - the strings are resting on the adjustment screw heads. Is there any benefit to flipping the bridge the other "correct" direction? I'm asking because I will have to take each saddle out and flip them, etc.

outlawten5

Reaction score
Intonation adjustment screws should be facing the pick ups

DarrellV

Crazy American......
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a new to me '67 SG Standard. One thing I have noticed is that the ABR slot screws are facing the Maestro. Googling the same guitar I see a mix of pics where the bridge is facing the pickups and also facing the tailpiece.

Right now - facing the tailpiece - the strings are resting on the adjustment screw heads. Is there any benefit to flipping the bridge the other "correct" direction? I'm asking because I will have to take each saddle out and flip them, etc.
Nope, just flip the whole bridge assembly around on its posts, and then re-intone everything because it's all going to be off.

It will look better and more 'correct' to you, but there is no law that says the screws must face either way.

If it's intoned now and playable, why would you want to go through all the trouble of intoning it?

Also if the slots are cut wider for the lower strings you WILL have to swap them all as well as intonate the whole thing again.

Only you can decide if it will be worth the effort... :dunno:

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
It doesn't really take that long, nor is it hard, to swap the saddles around.

If the strings are touching the screws, that's no bueno.

If the strings weren't sitting on the screws, it wouldn't be an issue.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
If it makes any difference, my REAL 61 SG Standard came new from the authorized dealer with saddle screw heads facing the side pull trem. If you don’t like that, loosen the strings and reverse the bridge. But if you want to know what is authentic — well, I’m telling you here.

Latest Threads