63 50th anniversary ES 335 price?

derek1977

Reaction score
Hey guys, my local guitar store told me my 63 50th anniversary cherry ES 335 needs a new truss rod. I trust them because I know the tech. The repair is estimated at $1000.00 I might sell only because I have my eye on the new 64 ri. My question is, how much do you think I could sell the guitar for as is? Also, how much could I sell after repair? The guitar is mint with papers and ohsc. I bought it from my local gibson dealer in 2013 for $3600 CAD plus 15% taxes. I'm not trying to get top dollar, just a fair price for the consumer and myself. I'm in Canada so please specify US or CAD currency. Appreciate any help..or any interest

Last edited:

RufusTelestrat

Reaction score
If it needs a truss rod it should be warranted by gibson, as that is a manufacture defect.

JMP

Reaction score
Just for peace of mind, I’d bring it to another luthier for a second opinion. If everyone agrees that the truss rod should be replaced, I’d go ahead and have the work done and keep the guitar.

dc007

Premium Member
Reaction score
Good luck but I can say that I believe buyers will look past this guitar unless the price is cut substantially. I would repair it and then sell it. Probably lose less money that way.

derek1977

Reaction score
Good luck but I can say that I believe buyers will look past this guitar unless the price is cut substantially. I would repair it and then sell it. Probably lose less money that way.
I think you are right. Thank guys

derek1977

Reaction score
Your information is not correct. Gibson USA warranty is lifetime for manufacture defects. A faulty truss rod should certainly fall under that. This warranty is for the first owner, original purchaser from a Gibson dealer.
Gibson warranty page
I may be incorrect on the USA warranty, but I am very confident on the Canadian warranty time of 1 year. Believe me, I wish I was wrong.

Latest Threads