'61 SG/LP Value?

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There's a '61 for sale at a guitar store a couple hundred miles away from me, so I haven't had it in hand.

To me, it appears they are asking too much, but I thought I'd better check with the experts.

- headstock repair, crack and reglue, it wasn't broken right off.
- PAFs have been replaced with something else
- non-original Bigsy
- non-original Grovers

They are asking $4500 Cdn (+ tax = $4725), that's about $3600 US (+ tax = $3780) right now. I thought that was high, but if I'm wrong I'll go look at it next week.

dwagar-albums-don-s-stuff-picture71560-gibson-61-sg-1024x557.jpg

dwagar-albums-don-s-stuff-picture71561-gibson-61-sg-lp-hsbk2-1024x455.jpg

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
me personally, I'd avoid it and put that $$$ towards a better representation of a similar model. The way I view vintage pieces is, always try to get the most complete with original parts you can get (condition notwithstanding). Less to have to search for part wise if you wanted to get it fitted with proper parts. I'd take an all original parts on guitar that had excessive wear or even a headstock break/repair over one that has very little original parts but was in better condition.

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's pretty common for the PAFs to be pirated. And not a big deal to switch to Klusons. I'm not a fan of Bigsbys, but I can live with it. And if I don't like the pickups, I've got at least one nice pair here I could throw in it. I would never drop the coin on a pair of real PAFs.

I don't know the real value of '61s. In my mind, '61 is the year to buy if I want an SG. But when I look on GBase, I see a couple at $25,000, $12,000, $10,000, 1 at $10,000 with a heel repair. Pricing seems to be all over the place, I don't know what is a real price to start discounting for the PAFs and the repair/changed parts?

Tidewater

Reaction score
They always seem undervalued but they always aren't.

I would move on.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Well, I own a 61-62 LP SG. As far as being a player is concerned, the Bixby will work better than the OEM side pull trem, and I like grovers better than Klusons. As far as collector's value, these things do lower value a lot. But I worry about the headstock break that didn't result in the headstock coming off, but has been "repaired". Don't know how one does that properly unless the break is total.

Latest Threads