61 les paul 61 SG...whats the difference?

shtdaprdtr

Reaction score
Hi, I recently got a case of GAS and bought an R9 and went on a vintage trip, so after that I bought a 2008 Gibson 61 reissue SG for $800 due to a neck repair (the headstock cracked while shipping?) anyway..I wanted to give it a VOS vibe and change the tune-o-matic to an aged ABR-1 and tailpiece and change it to a "les paul" scripted truss rod cover and possibly a maestro vibrola if I can cover the stud holes. Anyway...my question is....what is the difference between gibsons 61 reissue and 61 les paul re-issue....why have both? I know the neck binding is a little thicker and the parts I mentioned earlier...but what else?
What is the neck profile like between them....any differences?
Why is Gibson stupid and control me with their subliminal messages telling me I have to buy into all their crap?
Why am I stupid?

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
Obviously, the Historics have factory ABRs, light weight tail pieces, better wood selection, etc.. If you've got the cash, go Custom Shop. That being said, the USA SGs are the best guitars coming out of that factory..

shtdaprdtr

Reaction score
???huh?
Im not looking to buy an SG, I have a 61 reissue from the regular production line, my question is....with the exception of hardware, paint, and possibly wood selection (which I believe is a load of shit), what is the difference between the custom shop and regular 61 SG..sorry les paul...uh whatever!
Im talking about as far as body carving...I know my 61 reissue SG has that little taper in the back as the body is going up towards the neck heel...but what about the neck profile? I know the binding is thicker on my 61 reissue.

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
Since you "believe it's a load of shit", I can't help you. Keep believing it's a load of shit. That leaves more Custom Shop guitars for me. :laugh2:

The neck tenon is different. Where the neck joins the body is different.. The carve of the body is vastly different... Don't buy any though! It's all a load of shit. :laugh2::laugh2:

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Do the '61 RIs have a one-piece body or two?
All I know is my historic SG sounds like a million bucks and is around 1-1/2 lbs lighter than my old SG Standard.
Bullshit is right! :laugh2: :laugh2:

with the exception of hardware, paint, and possibly wood selection (which I believe is a load of shit), what is the difference between the custom shop and regular 61 SG
Isn't that enough?

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
Do the '61 RIs have a one-piece body or two?
All I know is my historic SG sounds like a million bucks and is around 1-1/2 lbs lighter than my old SG Standard.
Bullshit is right! :laugh2: :laugh2:

Isn't that enough?

It's an illusion. The USAs have 15 piece bodies.. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Historics are ALWAYS better than their USA counterparts.

shtdaprdtr

Reaction score
not saying you were full of shit...talking about gibson (I know the crap they pull...I work for a fine instrument manufacturer so I know their marketing techniques) But if you take offense to it then you are clearly blinded by their subliminal messages

shtdaprdtr

Reaction score
hope that guy knows I was kidding.....some people have no sense of humor

shtdaprdtr

Reaction score
I know, I got 2 other SG standards that are turds and heavier but this one seems to resonate a little more than the others... but I take it noone has info on these guitars

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
What do you want to know? I'm not blinded by anything. I know what I know.

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
I said they're always better, but that excludes anything hanging on the wall at GC. Just about anything at GC is load a crap and I wouldn't blame you.

shtdaprdtr

Reaction score
To be honest with you...its hit or miss with any guitar custom shop or not. Ive played tons of R9's for example...and all have felt like shit except 2...One I have and 1 I didnt buy in time. Ive played more better feeling R8's than R9's and as crazy as this will sound...I have an 83 standard that I outfitted with burstbuckers that kick my R9's ass...yeah my 83 feels like a cinder block but weight is not an issue with me.

shtdaprdtr

Reaction score
kicks its ass tonally that is...cause it looks like crap

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
:laugh2: I have an '81 Custom like that. Ugly, beat to shit thing, but I'd put it up against any Historic. :laugh2::laugh2:

I didn't mean to come off like a dick, but in most cases, CS is better than USA.

shtdaprdtr

Reaction score
I got one very good question....as far as tone goes. If any custom shop is so great...then why did eddie van halen create one of rocks greatest tones from a crap guitar which was a 2 piece ash second body with knots?
and why is the custom shop replica 25K?

shtdaprdtr

Reaction score
either way..the custom shop guitars are usually set up better...thats the key. But you can do that to any guitar

Latest Threads