61 Jr. road warrior incoming

Kinghat

Reaction score
I previously bought an all original 63 Jr that I absolutely love, and last week I found a 61 on ebay that I couldn't pass up. It's been converted to neck and bridge humbucker and had the headstock broke twice, but I'm hoping it's solid and playable. I will have to rob a few of my other guitars for parts, but I expect to love this thing when it's all said and done.

Pics are in the ebay auction link

1961 Gibson SG Jr Handyman's Special | eBay

xroadie_jim

Reaction score
Looks interesting, keep us posted on what you end up doing...

Kinghat

Reaction score
Got it in Friday from fedex. I spent all day Saturday loading it with WCR Betset pickups, RS Guitarworks 500k Superpot, .015 Emerson cap and CTS 500k tone pot. I used a Creamtone ABR-1 bridge and featherweight tailpiece. I still need to cut a rear cavity cover. I kind of want to convert the tuners back to a lighter type. I have some old correct three on a plate white knob tuners that I may use, but I'm a little worried about jacking with the headstock any.

I pulled an anchor up so I could run a better ground wire than they previously had. Looks like someone used pretty good stuff when they converted it to tune-o-matic.

capnjim

Reaction score
Thats awesome. I love the single volume and tone. So the headstock is solid?

Kinghat

Reaction score
Thats awesome. I love the single volume and tone. So the headstock is solid?

I played it during worship service at the church I play at and it seemed rock solid. Just hideous, lol

Stoj

Reaction score
Nice Save, that looks killer, Congrats & enjoy :cheers:

Falconbill

Reaction score
Nice work. I would think a luthier could sort out that missing chunk of wood in the headstock if you wanted to go to the trouble. Bet it sounds great. :thumb:

Latest Threads