60th R9 Shipping Damage

brandall10

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just received a lovely 60th Anniversary R9 from a Reverb sale.

Upon initial inspection I noticed the tail strap button was a bit loose. Took a look and sure enough it appeared as if it had taken an impact as there is a lacquer chip on one side. Fortunately that appears to be the extent of it, it doesn't appear this area is deformed in any way and a half twist of the screw tightened it back up. While the guitar case itself was well packed and the headstock was wrapped inside the case, there wasn't any foam beneath the tail and it seems the case offers no protection there.

The seller is engaged and wants to work toward a resolution. The issue is this is the first time either of us has experienced shipping damage. It was shipped w/ FedEx and well insured, but the box itself shows no apparent damage. So I'm unclear if there is an avenue to explore there.

Also not sure what this kind of damage does to the value of the instrument. It was sold in excellent condition and otherwise is pretty much that. Any advice on how to move forward?

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 7.29.08 PM.png

Last edited:

stephen78

Reaction score
Do you like the guitar otherwise? I had the same exact thing happen on an R8 I used to own many years ago. I sent it to a shop to get filled/repaired and the seller covered the cost.

Maybe give that a try if you like how the guitar sounds/looks.

ONEHERO

Reaction score
Of this was damaged during shipping, a claim with FedEx should be done

brandall10

Reaction score
Find someone locally who could do a spot refinish, get an estimate and ask the seller to refund that amount from what you paid for the guitar.

Sure that works... but the value of the guitar is going to be impacted one way or the other.

That I'm concerned about. I almost feel for a historic it might be better to the value of the guitar to just leave damage alone, rather having finish work?

BDW60

Reaction score
The Cali girl cases are absolute garbage. The 2019s shipped with two pieces of gray foam ... a wedge for under the headstock and then a small piece to connect to the strap button. Intended of course to cushion the button, and to keep the guitar from flopping all over the place in the loose fitting, flimsy case. How bad is a case on a 6-7K guitar when you have to have foam pieces thrown in there as a desperate after thought?

If there were no foam pieces in the case, both parties are lucky that‘s the worst that happened.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
If you "connect" playing the guitar is what is most important.

I would have it fixed now just because the cost would be covered.
Add a certain devaluation value to be paid in case you decide to sell it in a few years.

If you don't connect, send it back for full refund if possible.
And try your luck with another one.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Get an estimate for the fix and get the cash back. Then decided what you want to do if you plan on keeping it.

integra evan

Reaction score
Through a Reverb sale? Have the seller contact Reverb for a Safe Shipping claim. Then you'll provide an estimate from your luthier to Reverb, and Reverb will refund you that amount. Takes a few days but it's the best thing to do and the seller gets to keep his full sale price and you'll get the discount.

NHDave

Reaction score
My only comment and I don't want to come off as a PITA but here goes, lol... .

Is the cost of repair (guessing $100-200) adequate compensation here? Also while the seller "may" have had safe shipping. Having him shoot you thru the cost of the repair (which you pass to the repair guy) while he gets his full price seems like the seller comes off smelling like roses here while you absorb the depreciation. Pretty sure carriers just compensate a reasonable cost of repair, not devaluation.

Might be cleaner to have him give you a shipping label to return. I think the seller has
responsibility to put enough packing between the case and the box to help prevent
bumps fracturing the finish, particularly on a high dollar piece.

brandall10

Reaction score
Might be cleaner to have him give you a shipping label to return. I think the seller has
responsibility to put enough packing between the case and the box to help prevent
bumps fracturing the finish, particularly on a high dollar piece.

To be clear, the case itself seemed well packed... it appears to be the original box and shipping materials - has a custom formed bubble sheath on both the top and the bottom. There's just no protection at the bottom of the guitar case itself, as a poster above noted. Even with good padding around the case, I imagine a drop of a couple feet to the ground could be enough to shock it.

Last edited:

coyote95667

Reaction score
repaired paint chip at the strap button seems like about the most insignificant kind of ding you can have. Isn't thata spot always covered by a strap. does anybody ever look at it? seller pays for repair or eats shipping on return = fair resolution imo. But seriously if you're going to ding my guitar - please ding it where my strap will always cover it.

GuitarPops

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your guitar, man.

I've owned two CS Les Paul reissues (R0 sold, R9 currently have), and I also do pro guitar repair and setup. That is not the original button and it seems clear to me the damage was done before it was shipped to you.

If you like the guitar and didn't get taken to the cleaners on the price, see if you can keep it and get it fixed (maybe get the correct button in the process). Since custom shop Gibsons are finished in lacquer, I can tell you that damage can be fixed by someone who knows what they're doing and you'd never be able to tell.

Hope that help.

Take care,

Dan

brandall10

Reaction score
Thanks again folks. I hear ya on this being seemingly minor to some, esp. where it's at, but all the same I'm unsure if I'd hold onto the guitar all that long regardless.. for my taste, would likely experiment w/ pickups and whatnot.

The seller was super cool and it's on its way back.

Latest Threads