60th Anniversary 1961 Les Paul/SG

sputnik

Reaction score
Decided to buy an SG for a change as I’ve never owned one. Sounds great! Nice and light too at 6lbs 11oz. The only is problem is it’s missing the tortoise(?) inlay on the last side marker. It doesn’t really bother me. I just think it would hurt resell should I decide to move it on as I’d obviously point that out to the buyer. What do you guys think? Send it back? Quit whining and play it? Tell me your thoughts...

LP1865

Reaction score
Just put one back in. Isn't that hard and definitely not worth sending it back.
Let the seller know tho

Clint

Reaction score
Man that's some pretty shoddy QC if you ask me. If you really dig the guitar and it has no other issues then just keep it but see what the dealer can do. I bought an new R9 with a few small issues and the dealer went out of his way to make me happy.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Just put one back in. Isn't that hard and definitely not worth sending it back.
This is what I would do, maybe look into how much they cost and ask the seller for that amount if it's over $20 or say it's going back, but I'm not OCD like many are.

jkes01

Reaction score
Make one out of a heavy Fender tortoise pick using a drill bit to punch it out or contact Gibson to see if they will send you a replacement.

sputnik

Reaction score
The only problem is the clear coat is over the hole. I’d have to cut around the hole or something then find a dot to fit it. Definitely doesn’t seem too hard but it’s just the point of having to on a brand new, $5k guitar. I’ve reached out to the dealer. We’ll see what they say.

Last edited:

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Have them take care of it or give your local luthier a call.

Blueline

Reaction score
I have had my 2021 60th anniversary 61 Les Paul for 2 weeks now. And last night the silver insert on the tone knob just fell out. Fortunately I was able to find it on the floor in my house and not on the studio floor. How are these glued in? The knobs are the see thru type with short shaft so they are not easy to find. I was thinking of getting the custom shop to send a replacement. I have never had this happen ...a new one on me. Any thoughts?

marshall2553

Reaction score
I have had my 2021 60th anniversary 61 Les Paul for 2 weeks now. And last night the silver insert on the tone knob just fell out. Fortunately I was able to find it on the floor in my house and not on the studio floor. How are these glued in? The knobs are the see thru type with short shaft so they are not easy to find. I was thinking of getting the custom shop to send a replacement. I have never had this happen ...a new one on me. Any thoughts?
I’ve had two pop out on my 60th anniversary R0 in the first few weeks I had it. I glued the first one back. After the second one came out I ordered a set of aged reflectors from RS Guitarworks. The inserts on those are glued in and they look a lot better than the unaged factory knobs.

Latest Threads