60s Tribute GT upgrade, but not too heavy?

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
I fancy upgrading my 60s Tribute (in my current avatar) for one with the full binding and glossier finish. Trouble is that the new 2019 models (which I think look gorgeous) seem to be quite heavy based on shops that show the weight in their adverts.

My concern is the weight as my Tribute is weigh relieved and I find it very comfortable. I have a 1990 Epiphone LP that is much modified, but I rarely play it mainly due to the weight (and I no longer like the very low frets it has).

I've seen some other Custom shop '56 type GTs for sale that are slightly lighter than the typical 2019 models seem to be, but it's lot extra to pay just to save a bit of weight. I don't know if there are older models I should keep my eyes open for that might be weight relieved, but have the more '56 look I'm after? I don't mind waiting for the right one to come up, though the new option is easier as I could trade in the Tribute. It's easier to trade in than try to sell after I've bought another guitar (fewer questions from my long suffering wife :D ).

Just for reference, this is my 60s Tribute on the kitchen scales. 3344 g equals 7lbs 6oz
3344g GT LP.jpg

My Epiphone LP which I find a bit heavy, so wouldn't want to go any heavier than this, preferably lighter if possible. 4011g equals 8lbs 13oz:
4011g Epi LP.jpg

Last edited:

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
sub 9 lbs is not heavy for a LP
Thanks for your reply MSB. :yesway:

9lbs might not be heavy for you, but it's enough to put me off: My other guitars being a noticeable amount lighter (Teles, Strat, SG, Gretsch and the GT). I do tend to suffer with a stiff shoulder and occasional back problems, so it's partly an age thing. If I could find a GT no heavier than my Epiphone, then I'd maybe consider that.

I am after a chambered model, but it sounds like I'm looking for something that doesn't exist. I don't think I'd be looking at an ES model though (not sure I've seen a Gold Top version?).

I'll keep watching the websites that have the weights listed incase something comes up sub 9lbs, unless someone else can think of a chambered GT model I should look out for.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
meh.if it plays and sounds good polish it up and rock it.you cant see the binding when youre playing.use the money ive saved you on hookers and blow...

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
I suppose I asked for that. :D

I bought an SG Standard this week and it plays so well it shows the GT up a bit...slightly rough round the edges, not as nice to play, so it just got me thinking about upgrading it.

MSB

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply MSB. :yesway:

9lbs might not be heavy for you, but it's enough to put me off: My other guitars being a noticeable amount lighter (Teles, Strat, SG, Gretsch and the GT). I do tend to suffer with a stiff shoulder and occasional back problems, so it's partly an age thing. If I could find a GT no heavier than my Epiphone, then I'd maybe consider that.

I am after a chambered model, but it sounds like I'm looking for something that doesn't exist. I don't think I'd be looking at an ES model though (not sure I've seen a Gold Top version?).

I'll keep watching the websites that have the weights listed incase something comes up sub 9lbs, unless someone else can think of a chambered GT model I should look out for.
i'm with you on back/shoulder stuff, I didn't mean it in a negative sense to you, but imo, anything less than 9lbs is light for a LP, ask the norlin guys with 12, 13 lbers.

1572031014165.png

they do exist, and most on here really think highly of them. not sure your budget, but I know they've made chambered reissues, someone with more knowledge than me could confirm or deny if they ever did any CR6s, which would probably check all your boxes and empty your wallet at the same time.

you could always get a chambered studio, refinish it and put hum bucker sized p-90s in it. I'm sure a few others that know more than me will chime in after a bit.

mdubya

Reaction score
There are chambered Custom Shop Reissue '54 and '56 models.

I have been toying with a Less Plus which is thinner and lighter than a Standard solid LP.

I have an ES Les Paul Goldtop and even though it is not a traditional LP, it does the LP thing pretty well and it does a lot more, too, really tapping into hollow and semi-hollow bodied tones. It weighs 6.2 lbs. I would be 100% happy with a P-90 version, too.

Maybe I am fooling myself, and I know the ES LP does not appeal to everyone, but if you are looking for a lightweight LP, this is a killer guitar.

Gratuitous backside shot

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
I know Gibson is distributing a batch of 2019 Lites: Deluxe GT Lite, Deluxe Redwine Lite, Deluxe Ebony Lite and Custom lite. Just saying. ;)

mdubya

Reaction score
I suppose I asked for that. :D

I bought an SG Standard this week and it plays so well it shows the GT up a bit...slightly rough round the edges, not as nice to play, so it just got me thinking about upgrading it.
I had a 2010 50's Tribute with P-90's. It weighed 7 lbs 7 oz. I thought it was a pretty solid guitar and a nice stripped down feel to it that made it feel like a real rocker, to me. Maybe yours just needs a set up and a clean up, maybe a fret dressing/leveling?

Pics or it didn't happen

I would get another one in a sec. I just needed to move it for cash at the time, unfortunately, and LP's are easy to sell.

Mine partnered with an SG as well. I still have the SG. It is a rocker, too.

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
That sounds interesting Piers (unless I missed some in joke there). It depends if they make it to the UK though.

Budget wise I was looking at the 2019 Standard 50s P90 which is £2k in the UK. I've been searching on UK equivalent of Craigslist and found a 2018 Classic near to me, but it's not weight relieved and has a slim taper neck (I'd prefer a more 50s profile as a change from my SG).

@mbubya mine has had a fret level done and I rolled the edges of the fingerboard. I recently fitted a bone nut too. I've checked the neck relief/action on the GT and my SG guitars and they match perfectly, but I just prefer how the SG feels to play.

I feel I'm in danger of offending all the Studio/Tribute owners, but that's not my intention: I'd just like to fine tune my guitar collection by upgrading some to nicer versions, but the weight issue seems to be the problem.

I'm off work next week (and also going to a guitar show on Sunday), so I think I'm going to visit some shops and try the options in person. I might find I don't mind the weight of the 2019 Standard 50s P90, or maybe I won't like the 50s neck (I did have a 50s Tribute LP that I sold because of the neck).

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
That sounds interesting Piers (unless I missed some in joke there). It depends if they make it to the UK though.
They are arriving at Thomann soon.

mdubya

Reaction score

Budget wise I was looking at the 2019 Standard 50s P90 which is £2k in the UK. I've been searching on UK equivalent of Craigslist and found a 2018 Classic near to me, but it's not weight relieved and has a slim taper neck (I'd prefer a more 50s profile as a change from my SG).

@mbubya mine has had a fret level done and I rolled the edges of the fingerboard. I recently fitted a bone nut too. I've checked the neck relief/action on the GT and my SG guitars and they match perfectly, but I just prefer how the SG feels to play.

I feel I'm in danger of offending all the Studio/Tribute owners, but that's not my intention: I'd just like to fine tune my guitar collection by upgrading some to nicer versions, but the weight issue seems to be the problem.

I'm off work next week (and also going to a guitar show on Sunday), so I think I'm going to visit some shops and try the options in person. I might find I don't mind the weight of the 2019 Standard 50s P90, or maybe I won't like the 50s neck (I did have a 50s Tribute LP that I sold because of the neck).
I totally understand. I have been on a major move up the model line ladder for the last 10 years. I own several guitars now which I never thought I would own. No regrets.

I am looking at the 50's LP Special in TV Yellow, too. Ultimately, I will have the TV Special and the P-90 Goldtop in one form or another. :dude:

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
I fancy upgrading my 60s Tribute (in my current avatar) for one with the full binding and glossier finish. Trouble is that the new 2019 models (which I think look gorgeous) seem to be quite heavy based on shops that show the weight in their adverts.

My concern is the weight as my Tribute is weigh relieved and I find it very comfortable. I have a 1990 Epiphone LP that is much modified, but I rarely play it mainly due to the weight (and I no longer like the very low frets it has).

I've seen some other Custom shop '56 type GTs for sale that are slightly lighter than the typical 2019 models seem to be, but it's lot extra to pay just to save a bit of weight. I don't know if there are older models I should keep my eyes open for that might be weight relieved, but have the more '56 look I'm after? I don't mind waiting for the right one to come up, though the new option is easier as I could trade in the Tribute. It's easier to trade in than try to sell after I've bought another guitar (fewer questions from my long suffering wife :D ).

Just for reference, this is my 60s Tribute on the kitchen scales. 3344 g equals 7lbs 6oz
View attachment 415774

My Epiphone LP which I find a bit heavy, so wouldn't want to go any heavier than this, preferably lighter if possible. 4011g equals 8lbs 13oz:View attachment 415788
I think if you keep looking you can find a new/current model that weighs less than your Epi. My new Standard 50s weighs 8lbs 8oz and is actually a little lighter than my weight-relieved 2016 Traditional which comes in a 8lbs 10oz. They're all a little different so lighter ones can be found, although I don't think I've seen a current model Standard lighter than the high-8lb range.

MSB

Reaction score
I can't believe I didn't remember this yesterday when posting. Look at the 2015 Less Plus gold top w/ P-90s
1572091256361.png

thin body, belly cut. I have the humbucker version and Its my go to and probably my desert island guitar. I could weigh mine in a couple hours when I get back as i'm about to walk out the door. But if you can get past the '15 stuff, they are killer guitars. Also, because of the '15 stuff, they can be had for cheap. I have less into mine than used epi standards are selling for. I'd love to have one of these gold tops to go with mine, but haven't run across one yet. One day though.

MSB

Reaction score
my curiosity got the best of me (as I've never weighed this one before). And its including the les term ii and arm; and the robo tuners are replaced with kluson revolutions.

Attachments

Dogbreath

Reaction score
I find that an SG solves the problem nicely. I don’t understand what is “rough around the edges” about an SG Standard. And I know that taking this conversation in that direction would need to slide that topic over to the “Other Gibson’s” section.

Chemo

Reaction score
I know this isn't what you asked, but given your description you could also look at Maybach or Eastman. Both are very light, mostly non-chambered and great quality. Also, they are in your price range. If a dealer near you has them, give them a play!

Dogbreath

Reaction score
Eastman is an outstanding choice. My son has one and I really want one too.

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
Man, you would not like my three pup collection…

They are boat anchors and that’s why I love them

-Chris

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
I find that an SG solves the problem nicely. I don’t understand what is “rough around the edges” about an SG Standard. And I know that taking this conversation in that direction would need to slide that topic over to the “Other Gibson’s” section.
I think you mis-read what I said: My new SG Standard feels nicer than my Tribute, possibly due to the binding and/or it is so nicely set up. I have been thinking about a nicer GT for a while, but this comparison just highlighted the differences to me.

Thanks for weighing yours MSB and also the idea of the 2015 Less Plus Paul too. I can look out for one of those to see what it feels like. Maybe I can check the specs on the Legacy Gibson site too.

I've already found a 2019 Standard GT that weighs slightly less than my Epiphone, so as Angus said it's just a matter to keep looking. Obviously I'd then need to play this particular example to see if it suits me in other ways apart from the weight, but it's promising.

@Christosterone boat anchors are no good for me, however nicely they play it would just aggravate my back so I'd end up not playing it. We sometimes rehearse for 4 hour sessions, so a lighter guitar works better for me.

Had a look into Eastman and Maybach, but they aren't particularly cheaper than I can get the new LP Standard and the dealers are some distance away from me. I do travel with work, so I might get chance to try one if I'm near them at some point. Not particularly in a rush to do this change, so the secondhand options such as the 2015 Less Paul are worth me looking out for.

Last edited: