60s SlimTaper neck of Gibson Les Paul Classic 2014

Jim27

Reaction score
Which guitar neck has a thicker profile, the 60s neck of Gibson Les Paul Classic 2014 or the Fender Standard Stratocaster modern C neck?

Reaction score
From the examples that I've held, the Fender modern C felt thicker.

jbash

Reaction score
Depends. Fender is maybe a teeny bit thicker towards the nut and has a very small amount of increasing thickness as you get up the board. My '14 classic is similar towards the nut but gets much thicker than the fender as you get upto the 12th fret and beyond.

The Gibson has less shoulder than the Fender modern C which probably gives most folks the impression of it being less thick. They start out very similar. My KWS strat starts out super thin like a modern C at the nut but turns into a baseball bat, well over an inch at the 12th fret. It feels similar to my Classic at the first few frets too.

Jim27

Reaction score
By '14 classic do you mean the Gibson Les Paul Classic 2014?

jbash

Reaction score
Yup. Bought it a couple months ago.

Rockin Robin

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been looking at a few LPs on ebay... not really practical to try them out. I have a 2012 American Standard Strat with the modern C, which I find OK but a little on the thick side. Definitely wouldn't want to go any thicker.

It sounds like the 60s slim taper would be my ideal, but there don't seem to be that many standards that have it. Generally they seem to have the 60s rounded profile. Is this much different? Can anyone tell me how it compares to the Fender modern C? There's also the 30/60 profile... there's a very tasty guitar on ebay right now with that neck, but I think it will be too thick. Would I be right in thinking it's chunkier than the modern C?

TIA

tzd

Reaction score
I recently spent some time with a brand new Fender American Standard Stratocaster (with a 2013 serial number, but 60th Anniversary neck plate), and its neck feels thinner than my own 2003 American Standard. Both are modern C shape, but I attribute the difference to the thinner satin finish on the new neck, and the extremely low action setup and 9 gauge strings that it now comes with from the factory. It is extremely comfortable and easy to play.

In general I think the Fender Modern C neck is quite compatible with the Gibson '60s slim taper neck, in that if you're comfortable with one, you should be quite comfortable with the other. The Gibson '60s neck feels slightly wider and flatter, but I wouldn't describe the Fender Modern C as thick. If you want thick Fender neck, check out any of the 50's model Strats, those are real chunky.

Left Paw

Reaction score
The Fender is thicker, but there are too many other differences between at Strat and LP for neck size to be the deciding factor.

Rockin Robin

Reaction score
Thanks guys

So if I am looking at say a 2003 standard with a 60s neck is that a slimtaper neck or is it an R0 type neck?

I am keeping the strat by the way, not changing just for the neck.

afd1469

Reaction score
My understanding is that the 2014 LP Classic has a 60s "ROUNDED" neck...whatever that means. Who can describe it and compare it to a regular Gibson Slim 60s neck. Thx!

none2low

Reaction score
So if I am looking at say a 2003 standard with a 60s neck is that a slimtaper neck or is it an R0 type neck?
An early 2000's model with a 60's neck will be slim taper. R0 necks of any year are typically chunkier than regular production line guitars.

If you are specifically wanting a slimmer neck profile I'd look at 2013 and older. While not a guarantee, I've noticed that 60's necks prior to 2014 tend to feel a bit slimmer.

afd1469

Reaction score
An early 2000's model with a 60's neck will be slim taper. R0 necks of any year are typically chunkier than regular production line guitars.

If you are specifically wanting a slimmer neck profile I'd look at 2013 and older. While not a guarantee, I've noticed that 60's necks prior to 2014 tend to feel a bit slimmer.
Cool. But the Slim 60s post 2013 are still pretty slim? ...And what's this 'rounded' 60s?

none2low

Reaction score
Yes, post 2013 are still slim (compared to a 50's) IMO - the newer 60's profiles feel a bit flatter and chunkier than pre 2013. I would consider pre 2013 to be closer to the Fender modern C profile, but keep in mind nothing is absolute with Gibson.

Always best to play the specific example you're interested in.

Oh, and not sure what a rounded '60 is. Was that the sellers description? Gibson does final sanding by hand, so it's possible it could be a chunkier 60's profile, but still considered slim taper.

Last edited:

coreydm676

The Cosmos
Premium Member
Reaction score
Which guitar neck has a thicker profile, the 60s neck of Gibson Les Paul Classic 2014 or the Fender Standard Stratocaster modern C neck?
I have a 2000 Classic with the slim taper neck and it's really thin. Thinner than almost all my fender necks.

dro

Reaction score
Thanks guys

I am keeping the strat by the way, not changing just for the neck.

03 Les Paul Standard will do, yes slim neck BB pros if not changed, good bit of weight, will be a very nice player.

afd1469

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Still curious if anyone has a 2014 with the 'rounded Slim 60s profile' neck and can give us a review. Cheers!