60-61 SG Std. specifics

Blue Blood

Reaction score
Ok, looking for parts information about these early ,ink stamp serial number standards (humbucker guitars) please !

What tuners ?
PAF ? Specs ?
Pot --cap values ?
Which abr ? Nylon or metal saddles ?
Pickguard details ? Are all early small pickguards the same ?
All come with sideways tremolo ?
Danke !

Last edited:

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Double-ring Klusons
Small pickguard
PAFs varied, as always
ABR1, brass saddles
500K pots

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was going to reply and can speak to the specs on a '61 Standard, but the ink-stamped version is a pretty rare bird and I don't know if they have their own specs. I assumed there was some reason you were interested in that particular variant.

Blue Blood

Reaction score
I was going to reply and can speak to the specs on a '61 Standard, but the ink-stamped version is a pretty rare bird and I don't know if they have their own specs. I assumed there was some reason you were interested in that particular variant.
I'm definitely all ears on some '61 specs Bossaddict !
I *assume the specs are likely going to be close/same...just curious about little things, did pickguard screw holes move around, pup ring differences, etc. Things of that nature.
I have a ink stamp serial husk (definite early heel) and am looking for good info.
Thanks for the reply

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Premium Member
Reaction score
My '61 isn't ink stamped, but it does have a pretty early 4-digit pressed serial number.

As far as I know, they all had the side-pull vibrola. Here is a shot of its pickguard screw pattern...

It might also be worth noting that these early ones came in the '50s-style brown Lifton case prior to them switching to the black with yellow lining (I think that happened in '61)...

Here's a shot of the ABR-1 and bridge pickup ring...

Tuners are single-line, double-ring Klusons and the headstock is actually a little wider than '50s Gibsons. I don't think this lasted all that long, but I'm not 100% sure.

TRC has "Les Paul" engraved on it and has the roll marks...

P-chip...

I'll have to look at the pot values when I'm home.

Last edited:

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Seeing these picks kills me, because I had the chance to buy one (when my uncle was selling his) for a very, reasonable price.

Long story, short. We (most of SE, lower-Michigan) had some sever flooding a couple of years ago, as well as my wife having a medical-emergency, and had to spend a small fortune redoing our basement, and paying medical-bills.

Not, that buying gear is a priority, but it figures, that every time the chance of a lifetime presents itself...

One day!

Blue Blood

Reaction score
IMG_20190105_211709.jpg
received_2208589322748500.jpeg
received_235285734018713.jpeg
received_2209121966017241.jpeg

Ravaged , scalped of it's parts to build a lp ......but I have a beautiful old slab of Brazilian rosewood, and now looking for parts to resuscitate this old guitar properly.
No breaks or cracks though.

Last edited:

Red Pharoah

Reaction score
Hello Blue Blood!

Your SG/LP appears to have had Grovers installed at some time. Bigger holes. A stop tail was added.

Yours appears to have the longer pickguard that nearly touches the switch ring. And the early type neck heel.

It will be very hard to find that part. I like all the mods done to it and would be interested in buying it from you as is. Let me know if you want to sell it and for how much in US $.

Danke and have a great New Year!

Keep my contact info in the case should you decide to sell someday.

Blueline

Reaction score
Ok looks like I am late to this one Blue Blood but I have researched this very topic some time ago.
I have detailed the specs on the 1960 vs 1961 elsewhere . But basically the 4 digit 61 new LPs as seen in Bossaddicts pics are the same as the 1960 ink stamped versions. The key is the heel with the characteristic ledge. Bossaddicts LP also has the same heel. Maybe he will post a pic of that heel. Getting into the 1961 5 digits, the heel changed to the smooth and the pick guard got smaller and more rounded. Take a good look at Bossaddicts pick guard cause that is the one you want. The TRC did not have Les Paul on it , it was plain. So don't go looking a les paul cover. Some early ones had Les Paul model silk screened on the head stock but I believe these to be prototypes. There were other unique features such a a rectangle shaped tenon cover and no toggle switch ring but these were rare. In summary the 1960 models had :
  • standard PAFS,
  • non wire bridge, with metal saddles
  • sideways vibrola,
  • long pointed pick guard,
  • plain TRC
  • box style heel
  • double ring pegs
  • brown with pink lining cases

The range of serial numbers I have seen go from 0-8775 to 0-11485. Is there a 1960 ink stamped number on that husk? This is worth restoring to true 1960 form cause it looks like that heel join is intact.

Blue Blood

Reaction score
Ok looks like I am late to this one Blue Blood but I have researched this very topic some time ago.
I have detailed the specs on the 1960 vs 1961 elsewhere . But basically the 4 digit 61 new LPs as seen in Bossaddicts pics are the same as the 1960 ink stamped versions. The key is the heel with the characteristic ledge. Bossaddicts LP also has the same heel. Maybe he will post a pic of that heel. Getting into the 1961 5 digits, the heel changed to the smooth and the pick guard got smaller and more rounded. Take a good look at Bossaddicts pick guard cause that is the one you want. The TRC did not have Les Paul on it , it was plain. So don't go looking a les paul cover. Some early ones had Les Paul model silk screened on the head stock but I believe these to be prototypes. There were other unique features such a a rectangle shaped tenon cover and no toggle switch ring but these were rare. In summary the 1960 models had :
  • standard PAFS,
  • non wire bridge, with metal saddles
  • sideways vibrola,
  • long pointed pick guard,
  • plain TRC
  • box style heel
  • double ring pegs
  • brown with pink lining cases

The range of serial numbers I have seen go from 0-8775 to 0-11485. Is there a 1960 ink stamped number on that husk? This is worth restoring to true 1960 form cause it looks like that heel join is intact.
Great information, thank you !
The ink stamp is rubbed off, at certain angles I can see a slight shadow of numbers, but nothing clear/definite.
I'm definitely trying to get this SG right again.

Last edited:

Blueline

Reaction score
Thanks Bossaddict for that photo. Okay you can see the early 61s have the same heel join as the ink stamped models. Some regard this as the perfect heel join of the whole Les Paul/SG line. As I have mentioned this join disappears sometime in 1961 within the 5 digit range along with the long guard. Now all you need to do is to find those missing parts and fill in those stop tail holes and put that fingerboard on.

Latest Threads