5ish Watt Tube Combo Under 300...suggestions?

Ebony04Standard

Reaction score
Right? That way, we can vicariously enjoy your good fortune too
Hi all! Sorry for going crawling under a rock...has been crazy lately. I'm still mulling over options. I'm leaning toward the Bugera, but not set on it yet. The size, features and price are right, but still 100% set on it. Unfortunately, the guitar shops are closed up here...I believe Sweetwater and Musicians Friend are still shipping.

I'll definately post the final verdict once I pull the trigger.

I also wanted to thank everyone for their input and suggestions! It's good to hear all sides!

LPTDMSV

Reaction score
... you need to drive the speaker(s) hard enough to get decent tone out of them.
I've just been proving the truth of this to myself with the Marshall Class 5 dri ving a vintage Vox 2x12 through a Weber attenuator.

by the time there's enough drive to wake up the speakers, the volume is getting back to the level it was before I put the attenuator in circuit!

Cone surrounds and suspension are not infinitely flexible :(

>>There's a reason those Champ and Princeton tweed amps came with 8" speakers

I think you got that right :(

Ebony04Standard

Reaction score
Have been looking around for info on the Marshall Origin 5 combo. Found some videos on YouTube and some reviews online and some stuff here. Seems like the general opinion is mixed.

Compared to the Class 5, the tone sounds more trebley. I've read that the speaker size in the Origin 5 is 8" and the Class 5 is 10". Again, hard to tell without trying one in person.

Has anyone had personal experience with an Origin 5?

LPTDMSV

Reaction score
Have been looking around for info on the Marshall Origin 5 combo. Found some videos on YouTube and some reviews online and some stuff here. Seems like the general opinion is mixed.

Compared to the Class 5, the tone sounds more trebley. I've read that the speaker size in the Origin 5 is 8" and the Class 5 is 10". Again, hard to tell without trying one in person.

can't help you with direct experience of the Origin 5 sorry, but some interesting reviews on Reverb especially the "Marshall's version of a Champ" one. Seems to confirm, brighter more Fender-y sound, 8" speaker distorts at bedroom volumes unlike the 10" in the Class 5 which is almost a rehearsal amp.

Ebony04Standard

Reaction score
can't help you with direct experience of the Origin 5 sorry, but some interesting reviews on Reverb especially the "Marshall's version of a Champ" one. Seems to confirm, brighter more Fender-y sound, 8" speaker distorts at bedroom volumes unlike the 10" in the Class 5 which is almost a rehearsal amp.
Thanks LPT. I've been finding myself going down the amp wormhole and seem to find potential new options at every other turn...:(

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score

I have been tempted by the Origin 5 since the price was reduced. The 8" speaker isn't especially bothersome to me, because I have two with a 8", one with a 6" and the Greta has a 4". Only the Vox and the Class 5 have 10s. All of them can be plugged into an external cab, although the Gretsch and the Supro require reaching in and disconnecting the speaker plugs.

I have a JOYO JTA-05 on order and it's a 5W combo with an 8".

LPTDMSV

Reaction score
Thanks LPT. I've been finding myself going down the amp wormhole and seem to find potential new options at every other turn...:(
Very, very few people are lucky enough to live near a guitar store that would let you try out as many amps as you wanted for as long as you wanted!

So in the end there's an element of taking a gamble on something and hoping it works out. I don't think there is often such a thing as "once for a lifetime" amp purchase - you buy something, you live with it and learn and evolve, then at some point you trade it in for the next step along the journey (most likely taking a $$$ loss but you will have learnt something).

In a nutshell: Buy quality not features, think about when and where you will use it, get yourself a "tube" amp soon!

Ebony04Standard

Reaction score
OP, what did you end up buying?
Right? That way, we can vicariously enjoy your good fortune too
Well, I pulled the trigger. The Bugera v5 Infinium is on its way! After narrowing it down to the Blackstar HT1R MKii and the Bugera, I listened to YouTube videos until 3AM Aalternating between blackstar/bugera. The warm tone of the Bugera is what got me in the end.

Also, thank you all for your input. It's always good to weigh options even the ones that seem to be out of reach.

As I always say, variety is the spice of life. I'm sure GAS will creep in again at some point. LOL

LPTDMSV

Reaction score
Well, I pulled the trigger. The Bugera v5 Infinium is on its way! After narrowing it down to the Blackstar HT1R MKii and the Bugera, I listened to YouTube videos until 3AM Aalternating between blackstar/bugera. The warm tone of the Bugera is what got me in the end.

Also, thank you all for your input. It's always good to weigh options even the ones that seem to be out of reach.

As I always say, variety is the spice of life. I'm sure GAS will creep in again at some point. LOL
Enjoy!

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Premium Member
Reaction score

I think that you made a very wise choice!!! :applause:

AJK1

Reaction score

Going back and reading your 1st post suggested you were always going to buy it

5F6-A

Reaction score
Been thinking about a GA5 kit... what mods did you do?
It was a Harley Benton GA5. Stock it sounded terrible. I converted it to a 5F2-A cone minus negative feedback loop as the original did not have it either. Also changed the EL84 to 6V6, the OT (Hammond) and the stock speaker for a Jupiter 8SC. It went from zero (i.e. unplayable) to hero. Loud 5 watts with plenty of tone and very sweet.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
It was a Harley Benton GA5. Stock it sounded terrible. I converted it to a 5F2-A cone minus negative feedback loop as the original did not have it either. Also changed the EL84 to 6V6, the OT (Hammond) and the stock speaker for a Jupiter 8SC. It went from zero (i.e. unplayable) to hero. Loud 5 watts with plenty of tone and very sweet.
Ahh... makes sense.
Ya, starting with a PCB-based Harley Benton or Monoprice, I'd probably just gut the chassis and build up my own circuit.
The cabinet, chassis, and iron are worth more than the cost of those amps.

I keep flip-flopping between wanting the GA5, 5F1, 5F2-A, and 5E3 Mojotone kits.

Every now and then I get a bug up my butt to built the Twin... but then the Studio-One starts coming back into the discussion between the voices in my head.
And honestly, the Studio-One would be more close to what I honestly *need*.

Latest Threads