5ish Watt Tube Combo Under 300...suggestions?

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions/adds to the list!

A lot to consider!

Another related question...how has everyones experience been with Reverb.com? Returns, any damaged shipments, etc?

I always wory about used electronics.
IF you are interested in my Class 5, I also have it on Reverb. I have purchased quite a bit there myself

Ebony04Standard

Reaction score
My recommendation doesn’t meet your 5 watt requirements, but a Used Fender Pro Jr can be had for cheap. Awesome little tone machine and dead simple.
Thanks JMP. I really appreciate the suggestion.

That unit does sound awesome, but my neighbors may come knocking asking about the concert in the basement. LOL

Trying to stick to ~5 watts. I really want to play through a few before pulling the trigger. So far leaning toward the Bugera V5, Marshall DSL5C, Marshall Origin 5, and Blackstar HT5R mkii.

Unfortunately, with this Corona stuff going on, that may not happen for a while.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
Thanks JMP. I really appreciate the suggestion.

That unit does sound awesome, but my neighbors may come knocking asking about the concert in the basement. LOL

Trying to stick to ~5 watts. I really want to play through a few before pulling the trigger. So far leaning toward the Bugera V5, Marshall DSL5C, Marshall Origin 5, and Blackstar HT5R mkii.

Unfortunately, with this Corona stuff going on, that may not happen for a while.

Thanks again for the suggestion.
Apartment?

If so a few watts will get a visit from the landlord or cops.

AJK1

Reaction score
Hi all!

Im going to start this post by apologizing in case its not in the right section.

I've been looking at tube combo amps around the 5ish watt range. I was previously looking at around 15ish watts, but thats going to be way more than i need, as im going to use it, primarily for jamming with friends. I know the features on each amp can vary greatly from model to model. I'll be playing my stock 2004 epi LP standard through the amp. Thought about new pups, but decided on a new amp instead and have been diving down that rabbit hole for some time now. Im looking to spend in the range of 300 usd, but have some flexibility in my budget.

A friend of mine has the Bugera V5 and loves that thing to death. He and i enjoy playing similar musical styles (mainly blues and classic rock), however, he plays a standard tele with single coils.

I know i need to play the amp first, but this whole Carona virus thing is making me delay that till we hear more...im not a doomsdayer or a germophobe, but I keep thinking about how much we all have to touch our instruments while we play, which makes me hesitate to runout ant amp test. So, im using this time to research things more before In make the decision to go out and do so.

Some of the amps below are on my list...anyone have any other amp suggestions?

New amp
Bugera V5 Infinium
Blackstar HT1 MKii
Blackstar HT5 MKii
VHT Special 6

As usual, any suggestions and advice is greately appreciated!
I work in a large music store and I personally wouldn’t buy anything other than a Marshall, Fender, Vox, BOSS or Orange as any other brands are always hard to fix or repair as getting parts is nearly impossible
We used to stock Blackstar but dropped them for this reason
Just saying.....

Last edited:

AJK1

Reaction score
Hi all!

Im going to start this post by apologizing in case its not in the right section.

I've been looking at tube combo amps around the 5ish watt range. I was previously looking at around 15ish watts, but thats going to be way more than i need, as im going to use it, primarily for jamming with friends. I know the features on each amp can vary greatly from model to model. I'll be playing my stock 2004 epi LP standard through the amp. Thought about new pups, but decided on a new amp instead and have been diving down that rabbit hole for some time now. Im looking to spend in the range of 300 usd, but have some flexibility in my budget.

A friend of mine has the Bugera V5 and loves that thing to death. He and i enjoy playing similar musical styles (mainly blues and classic rock), however, he plays a standard tele with single coils.

I know i need to play the amp first, but this whole Carona virus thing is making me delay that till we hear more...im not a doomsdayer or a germophobe, but I keep thinking about how much we all have to touch our instruments while we play, which makes me hesitate to runout ant amp test. So, im using this time to research things more before In make the decision to go out and do so.

New amp
Bugera V5 Infinium
Blackstar HT1 MKii
Blackstar HT5 MKii
VHT Special 6

From what you’ve described if you came into my store I would sell you a BOSS Katana 50
MKII
Biggest selling amp in the world by a long way and simply amazing
Look very closely at it and you’ll see why they are superb in every way

Ebony04Standard

Reaction score
[
From what you’ve described if you came into my store I would sell you a BOSS Katana 50
MKII
Biggest selling amp in the world by a long way and simply amazing
Look very closely at it and you’ll see why they are superb in every way
Does the Katana have the same Tube Logic technology as the blues cube? Was reading some reviews trying to find out. I had thought about thr rolland blues cube hot.

Last edited:

AJK1

Reaction score
[

Does the Katana have the same Tube Logic technology as the blues cube? Was reading some reviews trying to find out. I had thought about thr rolland blues cube hot.
Check out the Roland/BOSS website and do some research on their range
One of the great features they have is the power scaling feature which allows you to cut power but not tone, so you can play at lower volumes without losing your tone

Robert Parker

Reaction score
Let me chime in quickly on the VHT Special 6. I have had one for several years now (I have the head) and have found it to be perfect for my needs playing at home in my basement. When paired with a relatively high-efficiency speaker, it was plenty loud enough for jams, gigs in smaller places, etc. (I did numerous open-mike blues jams. and several shows with a previous band. The key was a drummer with a light touch).

With a low-efficiency speaker, it works great as a home amp, and the 1/2 power switch, hi and low inputs, and gain boost switch make it more versatile than you'd expect for a "2 knob amp". It is essentially a Tweed Champ circuit with beefier transformers and a solid state rectifier. This allows you to use a wide range of output tubes.

Last, it is built with point-to point wiring with the intention of being easily modified or repaired. I have mine set up with a switchable bias to run either a 6v6 or 6L6 output tube with good bias (but this isn't strictly necessary for different tubes; it just sounds better).

I have not played any of the other, though a Marshall Class 5 has been of interest to me. In this case, repair and spare parts are not at all a problem, though I really doubt you'd need to repair it under anything like normal operating conditions. You would certainly need a good OD pedal to get drive at conversion volume, as there is no on-board OD. But it takes pedals really well.

LPTDMSV

Reaction score
OP! Look no further! Cherry is a total class act. Highly recommended.
+1 for the Marshall Class 5, you can find a good one for about that price.

Disadvantage: Only really does one sound, tone controls don't do much.
Advantage: That one sound is the Marshall sound :)

look for one with a metal grille and a headphone switch on the back, will be labelled C5-01

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Only other thing I would say is that 5W into a moderately efficient speaker is still pretty dang loud by domestic standards - I run mine on the headphones setting most of the time and am going to rig up an attenuator too :(
+1
The original tweed Champ and Princeton amps were single 6V6 Class-A running 5w.
Sweet little tone machines, but still too loud for "bedroom volume"
Even my little Blackstar Fly-3 can get pretty damned loud in my condo.

If you need to keep it down to bedroom/apartment volume, you're going to need either an attenuator (external or built-in), or deal with the tone deficiencies of running the master down low.
Even with a head set to 0.1w, you need to drive the speaker(s) hard enough to get decent tone out of them.
There's a reason those Champ and Princeton tweed amps came with 8" speakers.

LPTDMSV

Reaction score
Hi all!

New amp
Bugera V5 Infinium
Blackstar HT1 MKii
Blackstar HT5 MKii
VHT Special 6

Well you did say blues, i love posting a link to this YouTube vid of Barrie Cadogan making a cheap tube amp sound great!

Latest Threads