5ish Watt Tube Combo Under 300...suggestions?

Ebony04Standard

Reaction score
Hi all!

Im going to start this post by apologizing in case its not in the right section.

I've been looking at tube combo amps around the 5ish watt range. I was previously looking at around 15ish watts, but thats going to be way more than i need, as im going to use it, primarily for jamming with friends. I know the features on each amp can vary greatly from model to model. I'll be playing my stock 2004 epi LP standard through the amp. Thought about new pups, but decided on a new amp instead and have been diving down that rabbit hole for some time now. Im looking to spend in the range of 300 usd, but have some flexibility in my budget.

A friend of mine has the Bugera V5 and loves that thing to death. He and i enjoy playing similar musical styles (mainly blues and classic rock), however, he plays a standard tele with single coils.

I know i need to play the amp first, but this whole Carona virus thing is making me delay that till we hear more...im not a doomsdayer or a germophobe, but I keep thinking about how much we all have to touch our instruments while we play, which makes me hesitate to runout ant amp test. So, im using this time to research things more before In make the decision to go out and do so.

Some of the amps below are on my list...anyone have any other amp suggestions?

New amp
Bugera V5 Infinium
Blackstar HT1 MKii
Blackstar HT5 MKii
VHT Special 6

As usual, any suggestions and advice is greately appreciated!

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Premium Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up 2 Class 5 amps. This one is now up for MLP Brothers & Sisters to consider:
  • Class 5 Amp with Low Power Switch (5 watts/.1 watt)
  • A bit of cosmetic wear--I tried to show the tolex dings/rips/tears;
  • Some tolex scuffs as well
  • No funky smells
  • Works great
  • Continental US Shipping Only
  • $325 shipped Paypal
  • Not interested in trades; I need to clear some space :laugh2:

FRONT WITH DING ON BOTTOM TOWARDS THE EDGE
View attachment 430843

View attachment 430848

BACK
View attachment 430847

BOTTOM LEFT FRONT
View attachment 430844

TOP LEFT REAR & SIDE SCUFFS
View attachment 430845

TOP RIGHT REAR TOLEX DING
View attachment 430846

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

Im going to start this post by apologizing in case its not in the right section.

I've been looking at tube combo amps around the 5ish watt range. I was previously looking at around 15ish watts, but thats going to be way more than i need, as im going to use it, primarily for jamming with friends. I know the features on each amp can vary greatly from model to model. I'll be playing my stock 2004 epi LP standard through the amp. Thought about new pups, but decided on a new amp instead and have been diving down that rabbit hole for some time now. Im looking to spend in the range of 300 usd, but have some flexibility in my budget.

A friend of mine has the Bugera V5 and loves that thing to death. He and i enjoy playing similar musical styles (mainly blues and classic rock), however, he plays a standard tele with single coils.

I know i need to play the amp first, but this whole Carona virus thing is making me delay that till we hear more...im not a doomsdayer or a germophobe, but I keep thinking about how much we all have to touch our instruments while we play, which makes me hesitate to runout ant amp test. So, im using this time to research things more before In make the decision to go out and do so.

New amp
Bugera V5 Infinium
Blackstar HT1 MKii
Blackstar HT5 MKii
VHT Special 6

If you're looking for new, I would go for the Bugera myself. I had the first version of that one and it was nice.

I've almost pulled the trigger several times on the second.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

New amp
Bugera V5 Infinium
Blackstar HT1 MKii
Blackstar HT5 MKii
VHT Special 6

OH, and where are my manners :facepalm:

WELCOME!!

Ebony04Standard

Reaction score
Woah! Lots of info to take in! Thanks all!!

Cherry,

Thanks for attaching your post! Im leaning toward new, but not dead set at this point. Still need to hit the music stores and see which ones sing to my ears.

The LP/Marshall combo is classic, thats for sure!

Appologies for the delay...on vacation and probably relaxing too much!

Seven

Reaction score
My little Blues King 8 is one of my favorites.

IMG_0156.jpg

jb_abides

Reaction score
Owner of both Blackstar and Class 5, the Blackstar is overall more versatile especially in the cleans, but the Class 5 is downright more Marshally -- throaty and powerful -- but also loud. Be sure to investigate mod threads including the jack tweak. Amp selection is to personal taste, but I am not a fan of the Bugera.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
Any of these would be under $300 US if you can find them, except the Class 5.

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Of those you listed

I'm assuming you want lower watt for lower volume

New amp
Bugera V5 Infinium

Had the original. One issue it had was being a little dark. Most replaced the stock speaker, and sometimes did a cap change on the tone knob. IMHO, the dirt is not as good sounding at lower volumes as the blackstars

Blackstar HT1 MKii
Had the head, and it was a great low volume amp. Not pure 100% tube gain, but it sounds good. That said, having the head, I could use a 1x12 CAB, I suspect the small speaker of the HT1 could hold it back.

Blackstar HT5 MKii

Go for this if Blackstar is where you go. Bigger speaker, better eq.

VHT Special 6
Not as versatile as the Blackstars

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions/adds to the list!

A lot to consider!

Another related question...how has everyones experience been with Reverb.com? Returns, any damaged shipments, etc?

I always wory about used electronics.
That's why you want to buy from someone you can trust. In this case, @cherrysunburst00 . I can think of 20 members who will endorse him and that amp is better than any of the amps you listed.

Latest Threads