'59 TV Junior replica, first scratch build.

Wood Butcher

Reaction score
I believe most people spry both the white and the yellow before grain filling rather than spraying the yellow over the white paint and grain filler, looks good though :yesway:

LP1865

Reaction score
Why does Nitro take 2 whole months to cure?

badly drawn les

Reaction score
OK, two month is up. Doesn't time fly. As I said I'm going for a replica of a '59, which means some relicing/ageing. If that gets your goat, change channels now. I introduce a few dings & bumps to get the checking going, this means the check lines go around/from the dings, looking more natural. So, into the freezer you must go.
TVJ 009 (533x800).jpg

badly drawn les

Reaction score
I've had to twice file the fret ends down, as the wood shrinks. The 'board takes in moisture from the hide glue & expands. I thought this was a good juncture to do a fret dress. I always think it sounds better with blue marker on the frets.
TVJ 011 (800x533).jpg

badly drawn les

Reaction score
I know the bushings are not vintage correct but these came with the Klusons & those pressed ones are a bit rubbish. Yeah, Gibson water slide but it's for me, not for sale.
TVJ 012 (800x508).jpg

badly drawn les

Reaction score
I painted a Russian 0.22 PIO cap with Humbrol paints, like on the old Airfix plane models. So it looks something like a bumble bee.
TVJ 014 (800x674).jpg

Johan79

Reaction score
Very nice! I see you’re from UK, what brand of lacquer are you using here? I’m looking for a lacquer that has not too much plasticizer in it.

badly drawn les

Reaction score
I believe most people spry both the white and the yellow before grain filling rather than spraying the yellow over the white paint and grain filler, looks good though :yesway:
Well I did my research, plus my buddy valvetoneman brought some TVs round to use my freezer. That's how he does it & they look good to me. Interesting though.

badly drawn les

Reaction score
Very nice! I see you’re from UK, what brand of lacquer are you using here? I’m looking for a lacquer that has not too much plasticizer in it.
I've always used Steve at Manchester Guitar Tech for the colours, he tends to get them right. The clear gloss & thinners, I get in 5 litre tins from a company called LeWent, which is walking distance for me here in Cricklewood. They don't have plasticsisers in & check fine if you leave it long enough to cure.

pshupe

Reaction score
I got myself an infra red lamp, to speed up the curing, like in car spray shops. However, DO NOT take a phone call from a chatterbox mate & forget that the lamp is on your guitar. Don't ask me how I know this. View attachment 536041
How long would you have to leave it without the infrared lights, if you leave it 2 mos after?? Do you wet sand after the 2 mos then into the freezer? If not, have you tried just going straight to the freezer? Looks great. I would love to try this finish on a Moderne I am working on.

Cheers Peter.

badly drawn les

Reaction score
How long would you have to leave it without the infrared lights, if you leave it 2 mos after?? Do you wet sand after the 2 mos then into the freezer? If not, have you tried just going straight to the freezer? Looks great. I would love to try this finish on a Moderne I am working on.

Cheers Peter.
Hi Peter, I wet sand after a few days. This is the first one I've done with the lamp, not sure how much it speeds up curing. I'd have to do 2, one with lamp & without, to tell the difference. I left it 2 months just to be sure. The longer you leave it, the better the checking looks. If it goes into the freezer too early it does check but the cracks tend to heal themselves & doesn't look right. Cheers, Tony.

Latest Threads