'59 TV Junior replica, first scratch build.

badly drawn les

Reaction score
I rough shaped a nylon 6/6 nut & installed it. Now onto the finishing. Testing on some scrap. So, no grain filling, white primer/undercoat. Then mahogany grain filler, wipe down, light sand & on with the TV yellow.
fuzz 002 (800x794).jpg

badly drawn les

Reaction score
the curve of the end of the neck looks awesome. can you share tips on how I can get it like that?
Like I said, I went into the "zone". But for the curved bits I used a round backed rasp, then a round back file, then sandpaper around some tubular foam, like on pipe insulation. It always helps to know what you WANT it to look like, also having my '56 Junior for reference helped.

badly drawn les

Reaction score
Start with the easy bit. Front of headstock, no veneer, but I did grain fill & sanding sealer this.
fuzz 001 (800x653).jpg

badly drawn les

Reaction score
Getting a run with a transparent finish is the nightmare scenario, unfixable, which means, strip down & start again. So, TAKE YOUR TIME.
TVJ 006 (800x538).jpg

badly drawn les

Reaction score
Being careful to get a even finish. It's easy to go patchy with a transparent finish. I didn't go too heavy with the yellow, as I'm going to top-coat with a tinted, amberish nitro, which I make myself, I don't like any off the shelf tinted lacquer.

failsafe306

Reaction score
Looks pretty good so far. Is the grain filled all the way level with the top? It’s hard to tell from the pics. Also curious why you left the bridge posts in while finishing.

badly drawn les

Reaction score
Looks pretty good so far. Is the grain filled all the way level with the top? It’s hard to tell from the pics. Also curious why you left the bridge posts in while finishing.
Yes, that's the theory, I'm sure some don't get filled totally but it top coated OK, no sink holes. They're old posts that I'll never use (chrome not nickel) Just a lazy way of masking the stud holes. It also means I can rest it in it's front, they act like legs & keep the finish from touching the lazy Susan.

failsafe306

Reaction score
Yes, that's the theory, I'm sure some don't get filled totally but it top coated OK, no sink holes. They're old posts that I'll never use (chrome not nickel) Just a lazy way of masking the stud holes. It also means I can rest it in it's front, they act like legs & keep the finish from touching the lazy Susan.
That’s a good idea on the posts, I think I may steal that idea except use some bolts :)

Latest Threads