'59 Reissue Features ?

djlogan33

Reaction score
I am so excited about finding this website. This is my second new post.

I use to have a Clapton Strat and I like the Eric Johnston Strat, but nothing compares to a Gibson guitar.

My first Gibson was a 2006 50's-neck Ebony Les Paul.
My current guitars is a B.B.King Lucille and a '58 VOS Reissue (Plaintop) Washed Cherry.

I have larger than normal hands, so I need/want the thicker necks.
The 50's neck was nice, but the even thicker '58 VOS neck is better.

Even though the '59 Reissue has a slightly smaller neck than my '58 VOS, I really like the "Flame Tops" of the '59 Reissues.

I have some questions about '59 Reissues and need some advise:
- what is the difference between the '59 VOS & '59 Gloss? (aged & non-aged?).
- what are the main differences in the Flame Tops (wood designs). What is the best to get?
- is it true that the Reissue '59 do not have larges frets than the Reissue '58, even though the Original '59 did have larger frets than the Original '58?
- Will the Washed Cherry (Sunburst), hold it's value more than the other colors (Iced Tea, Bourbon, etc.)
- why is the '58 Reissue so much more $$$ than the '58 Reissue? Is it because the original '59 was considered the best
- any other advise or info on the '58 vs. '59 Reissues would be greatly appreciated.

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
-what is the difference between the '59 VOS & '59 Gloss? (aged & non-aged?).

VOS does not have the final polish completed, so it is dull (not aged) the hardware is slightly clouded.

- what are the main differences in the Flame Tops (wood designs). What is the best to get?

There are many ways Maple can figure, I would just get the top that appeals to you. If you get Hard rock maple, it is more desireable.

- is it true that the Reissue '59 do not have larges frets than the Reissue '58, even though the Original '59 did have larger frets than the Original '58?

All the reissues have the same frets, in most given years, but since 1993, they have changed them a few times. Some years the Historics had different frets, like R7 vs R9 etc.

- Will the Washed Cherry (Sunburst), hold it's value more than the other colors (Iced Tea, Bourbon, etc.)

Rare colors like Bourbon or Iced tea in SOME years may be worth more, because Cherry is SOOOOO common. The colors and/or names of colors have changed through the years since 1993.

- why is the '59 Reissue so much more $$$ than the '58 Reissue? Is it because the original '59 was considered the best.

That is only part of it, Two other reasons: R8s are generally plaintops, the ones that ARE figuredtops, are usually Western Maple, and not as highly figured as the R9s of the same year. The TOP is what determines both the retail price and the aftermarket value, generally speaking. (many monster topped R9s and all quilts are Western Maple too)

- any other advise or info on the '58 vs. '59 Reissues would be greatly appreciated.

The R9s and R0s are on average LIGHTER than R8s. R9s also, on average, have slightly slimmer necks. This is ON AVERAGE.

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
They did not make R8s in 1999 or 2000, but had plaintop R9s those years. In 2001 and 2002 figuredtop R8s were very numerous. As far as I know there was only ONE figuredtop R8 in 2003. There were some very nice figured top R8s in 2008, most were 50th anniversay Murphy aged, but a few escaped Murphy's treatment, and are of the unaged gloss variety....very rare. 1994 was the first year for R8s, 50 made ALL finished (not aged) by Murphy.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Rare colors like Bourbon or Iced tea in SOME years may be worth more, because Cherry is SOOOOO common. The colors and/or names of colors have changed through the years since 1993.
I'd have to disagree with this. If Gibson made one Bourbonburst or one Iced Tea, then maybe...but there are so many out there that they will not be worth more than a Washed Cherry. My R8 is Bourbonburst and it's not worth anymore than the next R8.

There are so many R8s/R9s out there that you will lose money in the short term if you buy a new one...regardless of colour. Long term may be a different story. If you hold onto a LP long enough, it'll go up in value as the price of new LPs goes up.

Check completed listings on eBay if you want to get a rough idea of what used Rx LPs are selling for.

djlogan33

Reaction score
VOS does not have the final polish completed, so it is dull (not aged) the hardware is slightly clouded.

Thanks you for your input.

Based on what you wrote, it would be best for me to find a "flamed/figured" '58 Reissue, instead of getting a "flamed" '59, for the following reasons:
- the '58 neck is thicker
- the frets are NOT larger on the '59 Reissue
- '58 will be a lot less $$$

A friend of mine is a LP collector. About a month ago, he won an eBay bid on a beautiful '58 Reissue "Iced Tea" Flame-top for only $2300.

Now that I know what you wrote, I am going to try to get him to sell me that guitar.

Thanks again.

Droog

Reaction score
The older R8's were flame topped, so used is a good option if the flame is what you want. Wildwood have one from their vault on sale now, never touched, so that's a good bet. If you get a new flame top R8, it is either chambered or a 50th anniversary, which is worth $$$.

By the way, get the guitar you want, don't worry about future value. Personally, I'm a plaintop fan so I own a plaintop R8 in a rare finish ( mapleburst)

....Not that I expect it to be worth more than another R8 down the road, but who cares, it's a player...and a lifer.

:thumb:

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Personally, I'm a plaintop fan so I own a plaintop R8 in a rare finish ( mapleburst)
Very cool, you got one of the 75...pictures? The L&M near my place had two of them. One sold and the other one wasn't the greatest. It's still there, I believe.

Mike60

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Very cool, you got one of the 75...pictures? The L&M near my place had two of them. One sold and the other one wasn't the greatest. It's still there, I believe.

...you might be talking about #88...colour is beautiful but otherwise an uneventful one...

I took home the R9 Cherryburst...

RCCola

Reaction score
Wow, $2300 for a flame top R8!

i usually see those go for ~$2800-$3k which is a little less than R9s. But nowadays, a lot of R9s are going for about the $3k mark. Talking used, of course.

Most of the ridiculous flame tops are Western maple. AFIK, only the Eastern tops have mineral streaks.

RCCola

Reaction score
Also, as far as colors, I've seen the TriBursts go for a lot less than the other colors. I think there is just less demand for that color. And apparently, triburst is more rare than the other colors.

A few months ago, Tribursts were easy to find used at $3k while the other colors were pushing $4k. Nowadays all colors are readily available at ~$3k on eBay.

Droog

Reaction score

Yeah thanks, mine's number 72. Seen plenty of places elsewhere on this forum, plus in my avatar with the maple syrup case candy. Best historic I've ever played, the neck, the tone....it's just the one.

:thumb:

Latest Threads