59 Les Paul Standard Lazarus Conversion to Slash Appetite

juanpuol

Reaction score
Someone named surfcaster replied to my video in my channel, but when I go to the video, I don't see the post, like maybe they retracted it possibly. Anyway, surfcaster mentioned the following comment.

"The Lazarus Guitar is perfect as is. Why would you ruin it? Those pickups sound thin and tinny compared to the great sounding, warm burstbuckers."

I think the SD APH2's sound close to a Gibson Les Paul Standard 50's with the BB 1/2 pickups, which I like, and I think the SD APH2's sound very nice. I am finding I think the PB 2/3's sound more like 57 Classic/Classic Plus pickups that are kind of on the bright side. So, I think I am going to put the BB 2/3's that came out of this guitar and put them in my Gibson 2014 Les Paul Signature, and possibly get the Zebra BB 61R/61T for my Epiphone Les Paul Standard 60's. I may also just get a JB/59 pickup set for my Epiphone Les Paul Standard 60's.

What do you all think, did I ruin my Lazarus, is there even such a thing when you modify your guitar to whatever you feel like doing to it. It's all fun and a wonderful hobby, enjoy it and do what you like, don't let one spoil sport ruin your fun.
not at all. The guitar looks beatiful as you made it. And the Slash pickups are great.

javacody

Reaction score
Someone named surfcaster replied to my video in my channel, but when I go to the video, I don't see the post, like maybe they retracted it possibly. Anyway, surfcaster mentioned the following comment.

"The Lazarus Guitar is perfect as is. Why would you ruin it? Those pickups sound thin and tinny compared to the great sounding, warm burstbuckers."

I think the SD APH2's sound close to a Gibson Les Paul Standard 50's with the BB 1/2 pickups, which I like, and I think the SD APH2's sound very nice. I am finding I think the PB 2/3's sound more like 57 Classic/Classic Plus pickups that are kind of on the bright side. So, I think I am going to put the BB 2/3's that came out of this guitar and put them in my Gibson 2014 Les Paul Signature, and possibly get the Zebra BB 61R/61T for my Epiphone Les Paul Standard 60's. I may also just get a JB/59 pickup set for my Epiphone Les Paul Standard 60's.

What do you all think, did I ruin my Lazarus, is there even such a thing when you modify your guitar to whatever you feel like doing to it. It's all fun and a wonderful hobby, enjoy it and do what you like, don't let one spoil sport ruin your fun.
Heck no!

I replaced every, single part on my Lazarus.

They're all in a bag in the case.

Gotoh tulip style top locking tuners, zhangbucker Page style pickups, Faber locking bridge and tailpiece, as well as inserts, new knobs, taller, whiter pickup rings, whiter pickguard, and whiter poker chip.

Wood, nut, and wiring harness are all that's left that's original.

It's your baby. You get to decide it's future. If it makes you happy that's all that matters.

My Lazarus came back from the dead and it's a Jimmy Page inspired tone machine with handwound pickups that are better than anything else I've ever heard. Zero regrets. My favorite guitar now!

donthewatcher

Reaction score
I was looking to get a Gibson Slash Appetite last year, and after trying the Appetite as well as other Slash Guitars, I just could not handle the Vintage 50's neck on them. Sure, they're not a baseball bat Vintage 50's neck, but still too big for me to like. When the Joe B. Lazarus came out, I was like Hell yea, this is what I like. I thought the neck would be a little bit smaller on the 59 Standard Joe B. Lazarus, but it is still not oversized enough for me not to like it. After a little while of playing, I don't even notice I am playing on a bigger neck except sometimes when I am up around the 12th fret or higher. It's still not bad though and I get a little bit of a workout especially when practicing my finger exercises. I then move down to one of my Slim Taper C or D neck profiles and it seems so much easier to play them. :applause:

After another member switched his Lazarus over to a Slash Appetite, I was like I can do the same thing and have my Slash Appetite Guitar. The top on mine even looks more like Slash's than the Epiphone Slash Appetite's Sweetwater is selling on their website, and the neck on my Lazarus is a lot nicer for my hands.

So here we go with the switchover, which is really only a couple of changes that me and my luthier need to make.

View attachment 605135
View attachment 605136

Edit: Oh yea... and of course the other member who switched there Lazarus over to a Slash Appetite is none other than The Slash and 59 master @rbraad68.
welcome Brother of the Lazurus glad you could get your Slash Transformation Fix , i got a lazurus with a really nice top (mini tiger flames) and i like burstbuckers because you can control your amp with just a slight twist of a volume knob, and slash P/u reminds me of Gibson 490r/498t vibe ENjoy
Gear: 2021 Lazurus BB 2/3
2020 Epi LP Custom Alpine Gold 490r/498t
2017 Epi LP Custom ebony seymor dncn P-Rails or bare knuckles
2013 Gibby LPJ cherry 490r/498t orange drop
2011 Epi Bonnamassa Gold top BB 2/3
pedal s boss Metalzone 2 boss dist boss equlizer Boss Katana mk2 Head 100w random marshall amps

rbraad68

Reaction score
I picked up a truss rod cover from eBay and already put my new 60's reflector knobs on. Now at least I know where the volume and tone knobs are, I always get them mixed up. :dunno::naughty:

View attachment 605212

View attachment 605213
I just got my slash cover damned thing doesn't fit :( It fits on my slash anaconda so i just put the slash one on my JB/Lazz ... No biggie i guess...

rbraad68

Reaction score
Heck no!

I replaced every, single part on my Lazarus.

They're all in a bag in the case.

Gotoh tulip style top locking tuners, zhangbucker Page style pickups, Faber locking bridge and tailpiece, as well as inserts, new knobs, taller, whiter pickup rings, whiter pickguard, and whiter poker chip.

Wood, nut, and wiring harness are all that's left that's original.

It's your baby. You get to decide it's future. If it makes you happy that's all that matters.

My Lazarus came back from the dead and it's a Jimmy Page inspired tone machine with handwound pickups that are better than anything else I've ever heard. Zero regrets. My favorite guitar now!
LOL I replaced everything too!! Kluson locking tuners-Faber locking bridge pieces and inserts too- Gibson Slash pups and Harness lol Knobs truss rod cover and darker rings and poker chip! I have all the org parts around here somewhere I didn't buy this guitar to collect nor sell for a few hundred more than i paid...I bought it to play!! I have always wanted an AFD guitar and wound up with the Anaconda cause the AFD epiphone put out looked like total shit nothing like the AFD..This JB/Lazz converted over nicely to a AFD and I believe is better speced so yeah these are our guitars who cares what anyone says about them we are the ones that have to play them.. Oh well i'm happy with the guitar thats all that matters i guess ....

Jim85IROC

Reaction score
I modified my JB EPI Lazarus to resemble Greenies Les Paul.
Same here.
51879952154_4a3c53bbbd_z.jpg

rbraad68

Reaction score
Same here.
51879952154_4a3c53bbbd_z.jpg
I seen this guitar in one of the FB pages. When I first got my JB I was going to lean towards the Geeny look but wound up with the AFD by the time I was finished. I like the top on yours man you deff got one of the better tops out there. I love these 59 models and the JB just takes it up a notch. I will never get rid of mine man. The guitar makes an exellent AFD and prob better speced that the real one by epiphone...
Jb 59 finished 01.jpg

rbraad68

Reaction score
I did find some reflector knobs that fit the guitar better so i now have those on the guitar. They are growing on me and i think the suit the guitar better here is a pic of the final look of the conversion to the AFD i did...
59 slash done 03.jpg

rbraad68

Reaction score
I got the truss rod cover the other day but it wouldn't fit right the screws or something wasn't lining up. I didn't want to make new wholes so I just used the slash cover off my real Anaconda burst instead. Oddly enough the new cover did fit on the anaconda burst so i just switched them out. This guitar is done!! I love this thing! Everything is perfect on it. I did alot of work to it. I replaced everything cept for the wood!! This was a fun project and i got a cool guitar when I was done. It would be hard to see it wasn't a Slash if you didn't know what you were looking at.. Here is a couple pics of how it came out. I may have already posted the pic with the 2 slashs but here it is both slash guitars!! I want the slash gold top next....
slash truss rod cover 01.jpg
slash 01.jpg

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
I did find some reflector knobs that fit the guitar better so i now have those on the guitar. They are growing on me and i think the suit the guitar better here is a pic of the final look of the conversion to the AFD i did... View attachment 610328
Why does that guitar have domed tailstop studs?

1653158657980.png

rbraad68

Reaction score
What does an aftermarket bridge have to do with the tailstop studs?
They are faber bridge pieces they are locking studs i even bought the faber steel bushing for the tail piece
aged nickel 01.png
... check them out faberusa.com i have them on all my guitars...

rbraad68

Reaction score
What does an aftermarket bridge have to do with the tailstop studs?
You have heard of faber bridge pieces right?? why would i keep the shit tail piece and studs on the guitar when i just put a 249 dollar set of bridge pieces on the guitar.

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
You have heard of faber bridge pieces right?? why would i keep the shit tail piece and studs on the guitar when i just put a 249 dollar set of bridge pieces on the guitar.
So your saying Faber makes rounded tail studs? Sorry I don't follow what your saying. The only rounded tailstop studs I have ever seen are on counterfeit Epiphones.

rbraad68

Reaction score
So your saying Faber makes rounded tail studs? Sorry I don't follow what your saying. The only rounded tailstop studs I have ever seen are on counterfeit Epiphones.
Dude what are you saying? Thats the question here? They aren't really that rounded and to be honest i never noticed until you said something. So ye i am telling you that the complete faber kit i buy for my LPs are a bit rounded ... Im looking at them right now and they arent really rounded. So if you are implying the guitar is a fake your wasting your time. Go troll another thread i am done with this conversation....

rbraad68

Reaction score
I posted you a pic of the parts I put on the guitar above what else do you want from me. To think you are an older member here I would expect a little more respect out of you...

Latest Threads