59 Les Paul Standard Lazarus Conversion to Slash Appetite

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I was looking to get a Gibson Slash Appetite last year, and after trying the Appetite as well as other Slash Guitars, I just could not handle the Vintage 50's neck on them. Sure, they're not a baseball bat Vintage 50's neck, but still too big for me to like. When the Joe B. Lazarus came out, I was like Hell yea, this is what I like. I thought the neck would be a little bit smaller on the 59 Standard Joe B. Lazarus, but it is still not oversized enough for me not to like it. After a little while of playing, I don't even notice I am playing on a bigger neck except sometimes when I am up around the 12th fret or higher. It's still not bad though and I get a little bit of a workout especially when practicing my finger exercises. I then move down to one of my Slim Taper C or D neck profiles and it seems so much easier to play them. :applause:

After another member switched his Lazarus over to a Slash Appetite, I was like I can do the same thing and have my Slash Appetite Guitar. The top on mine even looks more like Slash's than the Epiphone Slash Appetite's Sweetwater is selling on their website, and the neck on my Lazarus is a lot nicer for my hands.

So here we go with the switchover, which is really only a couple of changes that me and my luthier need to make.

EpiJoeBLazarus.jpg

slashparts.jpg

Edit: Oh yea... and of course the other member who switched there Lazarus over to a Slash Appetite is none other than The Slash and 59 master @rbraad68.

Last edited:

rbraad68

Reaction score
I was looking to get a Gibson Slash Appetite last year, and after trying the Appetite as well as other Slash Guitars, I just could not handle the Vintage 50's neck on them. Sure, there not a baseball bat Vintage 50's neck, but still too big for me to like. When the Joe B. Lazarus came out, I was like... Hell yea, this is what I like. I thought the neck would be a little bit smaller on the 59 Standard Joe B. Lazarus, but it is still not oversized enough for me not to like it. After a little while of playing, I don't even notice I am playing on a bigger neck except sometimes when I am up around the 12th fret or higher. It's still not bad though and I get a little bit of a workout especially when practicing my finger exercises. I then move down to one of my Slim Taper C or D neck profiles and seems so much easier to play them. :applause:

After another member switched his Lazarus over to a Slash Appetite, I was like... I can do the same thing and have my Slash Appetite Guitar. The top on mine even looks more like Slash's than the Epiphone Slash Appetite's Sweetwater is selling on their website, and the neck on my Lazarus is a lot nicer for my hands.

So here we go with the switchover, which is really only a couple of changes that me and my luthier need to make.

View attachment 605135
View attachment 605136

Oh yeah this should be a cool thread!! I'm watching :)

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I dropped the Guitar off with my Luthier, I will get it back Thursday or Friday. :Ohno:

rbraad68

Reaction score
I picked up a truss rod cover from eBay and already put my new 60's reflector knobs on. Now at least I know where the volume and tone knobs are, I always get them mixed up. :dunno::naughty:

View attachment 605212

View attachment 605213
Man you have to link me to that truss rod cover!! Your JB has a very nice top man!! Also seems a bit darker than mine? Maybe the lighting but mine is a lot lighter than yours.... With and without reflector knobs... Prob put them back on for a while maybe i can get used to them,,,
59 slash done 03.jpg

Attachments

• Jb 59 finished 01.jpg
    Jb 59 finished 01.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Man you have to link me to that truss rod cover!! Your JB has a very nice top man!! Also seems a bit darker than mine? Maybe the lighting but mine is a lot lighter than yours....
Thanks, I got on the bandwagon early to get my Lazarus and my Sweetwater rep sent me a couple of pictures to choose which one I wanted. Mine might be a little bit darker than yours, but not by much, yours still looks very much like a Slash Appetite guitar. I think the ones that Sweetwater is selling are a bit to yellow and not very much of that unique flame.

Last edited:

rbraad68

Reaction score
Did you try yours to see if it fits? Ordering one right now!! I see where it says fits epiphone now :) .. thx man!

rjwilson37

Reaction score
My Slash truss rod cover will not be here until Friday or Saturday.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
The only thing I think that might look off a bit with changing a Joe B. Lazarus over to a Slash Appetite, is the sides and back of the guitar. The red is not the same as the Slash Appetite Guitars. But for the most part, it will still look pretty awesome.

Here is the back of my headstock on Lazarus, I think the red is a different color than a Slash Appetite.

gotoh4.jpg

Last edited:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Here you can see the Slash Appetite does have a little bit darker finish on the left, Lazarus is on the right.

slashappetit_lazarus_compared_2.jpg

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Yep, definitely close enough. I remember a lot of people stating that the sides and back of the Lazarus should have been a little bit darker. Overall, the Lazarus is a great guitar, so that little difference is not a big deal, I am just stating that it would look better a little bit darker like we see above. :cool:

rbraad68

Reaction score
I'm totally happy with the way mine came out. not too worried about the back cause after all it is a JB Lazz ... You did the Kluson locking tuners or Gotoh ?? I used the klusons with the hex bolt bushings. I did have to reheem the holes out to get them to fit.. I am fixing to order the slash truss rod cover for it just got home from work... Here are a few pics for the thread....

Attachments

• Jb 59 finished 01.jpg
    Jb 59 finished 01.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Jb 59 kluson tuners 01.jpg
    Jb 59 kluson tuners 01.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 51
  • jb 59 kluson tuners 02.jpg
    jb 59 kluson tuners 02.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 47
  • JB 59 08.jpg
    JB 59 08.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 45

rbraad68

Reaction score
I found a Gold Slash Decal for the back of the headstock on my Guitar. I will let you know how this turns out, I hope it works.

View attachment 605601
are you going to cut the Gibson part off the decal? i can't wait to see this thing when your done :)

where did you find the decal ? you have a link? i ordered the truss rod cover i may as well get the sticker too!!

Latest Threads