'59 Les Paul Junior 3/4

krall

Reaction score
Anybody here have one or played one? I know they look funky, but how do they play? Approx. how many were made and current market value? One in great original shape has come up for sale locally..Thinking of maybe getting it for my son for when he gets a little older (he's almost 3 now)..

jimi55lp

Reaction score
They are very hard to play the lower frets but they sound great. I've seen them for years selling below 1500.00 in great condition. I've heard members say they have one near the bed for playing and they fit well in close quarters. The 1959 3/4 Juniors had 199 produced in double cut style. I'd like to have one but wouldn't like to have to sell one!

stephenwz968

Reaction score
I had a '57 3/4, it was a great guitar, the upper fret access is tight, but they sound amazing!

swamprock

Reaction score
Here's Phil X playing one...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LBWHttWI3g"]1957 Gibson Short Scale Les Paul Jr 00679[/ame]

krall

Reaction score
Well, one thing I found online:

"Originally sold as Gibson's least expensive, single pickup, student solid body model (it was replaced as the least expensive solidbody Gibson in 1959 by the Melody Maker). Also 3/4 scale versions of the LP Junior were made by special order in the 1950s, but are fairly rare (rarity is a good thing in this case, as 3/4 scale Les Paul Juniors are not very desirable due to their smaller size; also the body of the 3/4 scale Juniors is usually made of maple, not mahogany)."

The local seller got back to me last night and confirmed it..It's made of maple, not mahogany..Learn something everyday!

Ducati

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Some of the early Les Paul Juniors (full scale) had maple bodies as well. We know that mahogany became the final spec. Maybe the 3/4 bodies were cut early on in the model's history and not fast sellers?

krall

Reaction score
Some of the early Les Paul Juniors (full scale) had maple bodies as well. We know that mahogany became the final spec. Maybe the 3/4 bodies were cut early on in the model's history and not fast sellers?
They were apparently made to order, and Gibson still made them out of maple when they switched from single cut to double cut shape in '58..So yeah, it seems to indicate Gibson purposely wanted/made the 3/4 versions out of maple instead of mahogany..The only question remaining is why? Maple cheaper than mahogany?

Zack

Reaction score
They were apparently made to order, and Gibson still made them out of maple when they switched from single cut to double cut shape in '58..So yeah, it seems to indicate Gibson purposely wanted/made the 3/4 versions out of maple instead of mahogany..The only question remaining is why? Maple cheaper than mahogany?
maples dirt cheap. mahogany is expensive.

Ever wonder how 100 dollar strat copies have maple necks?