dennistruckdriver

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Bout as good as your stuff.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5P5eQiKNQs[/ame]

KP

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No KP, Epiphone didn't make Les Pauls in 1959. Gibson did. Gibson has owned Epiphone since 1957, Les Paul worked closely with Epiphone and used Epiphone parts to build his first "Log" and to experiment with his guitar ideas.

The 1959 Epi LP is a tribute to Les Paul and the iconic '59 model. To most and to me Gibson and Epiphone are inextricably linked. Epiphone is the budget arm of Gibson yes, but shi**ing on them seems like a back door slam at Gibson.

What I think is lame is when a dude asks a simple question and you "Old Timer's" make like the class clown (quite badly at that) and take a swipe at Epiphone like you're too good to even field the question. Very wine snob IMO...

I love busting balls and giving people sh*t; I just try to do it with some tact and imagination. You wanna low ball unsuspecting guys just trying to get some info then I'll be there to give you a reciept. End of story.

Do you really think that giving someone correct information is being a class clown? And by the way, I been busting balls almost as long as your father has been alive. So any receipt you try to hand me will be given right back to you and you can pay the bill. :laugh2:

Mark H

Reaction score
Description: Epiphone 1959 Les PaulEDIT.The Epiphone 1959 Les Paul is a limited edition commemoration of the famous 1959 Gibson Les Paul that most guitar historians and collectors consider the “holy grail” of Les Paul’s – not to mention of all electric guitars.

Epiphone’s Les Paul Standard has been a popular guitar for years and years. Starting with the same successful recipe, Epiphone significantly “steps it up” on this Limited Edition “1959” reissue. The neck features a 1950’s rounded neck profile. Epiphone hand fits this solid Mahogany neck into the body with a “deep-set” long neck tenon that extends well into the neck pickup cavity providing better tone and sustain.

As is traditional with Les Paul Standards, the back of the body is solid Mahogany while the top is a carved Hard Maple cap. To make the guitar more affordable Epiphone places a premium AAA grade flame Maple veneer is attached capturing the true “beauty of the burst.”

Epiphone includes a pair of Gibson U.S.A. BurstBucker pickups. BurstBucker pickups replicate the sound of Gibson’s original “Patent Applied For” pickups – the pickups that gave the ‘59 Les Paul Standard its legendary sound. The neck pickup is a Burstbucker-3 and is wound in the range of Gibson’s ’57 Classic. The bridge pickup is a Burstbucker-3 and is slightly over-wound with a hotter output that works well in combination with the BB-2 in the neck. Other unique features of the Epiphone 1959 Les Paul include a Switchcraft brand toggle switch, Mallory-150 tone capacitors, amber “top hat” knobs with metal pointers, nickel hardware, a blank trussrod cover and a “stamped” serial number on the back of the headstock. The guitar includes a replica Lifton-style case with brown exterior and pink interior.

Come on guys he is just checkin out THIS GUITAR....and wanted to know if it is worth it.
Id be flattered if someone asked me my advise. I am a mechanic and join a site only to get advise one time on how to fix a car....so can't we just all get along?
P_59.jpg

A:
Looks like a MIC EPi , nice neck, real maple top BUT fake tigar stripes, with Gibson BB3 pups, USA wiring, switches and a good case.
Worth the extra $$ ? It has all the up grades that guys seem to do on this site, SO maybe?
I don't like the cheesy Epi tuners so afford yourself another $100 for good ones.

ken374

Reaction score
hello everyone. i was wondering if anybody has played the epiphone 59 les paul reissue models. i thought about getting one, but i just wanted to know how well they sounded and played. thanks

someone on the epiphone site has 1 for sale

Hutchja70

Reaction score
Come on guys he is just checkin out THIS GUITAR....and wanted to know if it is worth it.
Id be flattered if someone asked me my advise. I am a mechanic and join a site only to get advise one time on how to fix a car....so can't we just all get along?
P_59.jpg

A:
Looks like a MIC EPi , nice neck, real maple top BUT fake tigar stripes, with Gibson BB3 pups, USA wiring, switches and a good case.
Worth the extra $$ ? It has all the up grades that guys seem to do on this site, SO maybe?
I don't like the cheesy Epi tuners so afford yourself another $100 for good ones.

Actually, the cheesy Epi tuners actually stay in tune better than the klusons I had on my 05 Gibby Les Paul Classic (Why I sold it and got a Trad Pro/Satandard) No need to buy tuners! Other than that, I agree with everything else!

#1guitarman

Reaction score
Do you really think that giving someone correct information is being a class clown? And by the way, I been busting balls almost as long as your father has been alive. So any receipt you try to hand me will be given right back to you and you can pay the bill. :laugh2:

:cool::shock::laugh2:(I guess he heard dat!!)

Is this where someone sez..."OH! SNAP!!"...:hmm::lol:

KP

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
:cool::shock::laugh2:(I guess he heard dat!!)

Is this where someone sez..."OH! SNAP!!"...:hmm::lol:

Ain't no "Oh! Snap"

I just do not like being lectured by children (with erroneous information). :naughty: :hmm:

#1guitarman

Reaction score
I don't give a rats a*s if Epiphones are made by lil green pony humpin' one eyed lepers in a colony in East Bumfukistan...I like 'em-I play 'em-hell, I even hang 'em on the wall.
The Guitar is (Was) endorsed by Les Paul himself.

If someone wants to buy a Gibson insted of an Epi. so be it. And, vice versa.

If we all played the same damned guitar, there wouldn't be a reason for internet forums.

Bottom line...No, Epiphone did not build a guitar in 1959-Yes, Epiphone is Gibsons.."medial".. line, not budget...that's the Gibson/Baldwin line-The Epiphone 1959 "reissue" is what Gibson/Epiphone calls one of thier newest models of Les Paul...Actually, it is NOT a "Reissue", it is thier "tribute". Nowhere in any advertisement is there a reference to Epiphone "Reissueing" a 1959 les Paul. It plainly sez "Tribute to the 1959 Les Paul"
The electronics have been upgraded, long tenion neck joint, real maple cap, fat '50s neck, hardware upgraded, Epi. version of a Lifton case.

Is it worth the added $$ ??...That is for the player to figure out.

Y'all play nice and have fun now, hear??

*EDIT*...KP, I understand totally your last post...:thumb:

MorePau1

Reaction score
I hear the epiphone 59 reissues are better than real 59' les pauls.

Have fun :)

Duffy

Reaction score
Oddly enough, the Epiphone LP Standard is supposed to "based" on the 59 gibson. Based on in a general sense I suppose, but nonetheless based on the 59.

So this awesome new 59 to come out along with the Tribute I just bought and sharing many of the design elements, is probably closer in some instances to an original 59, neck design, other technical features, etc. It is a modernized, contemporary guitar though, with the awesome new pickups and all the presently available hardware and electronics. A lot of things have changed since 59, not be be seen again.

The guitar appears to be a great one.

My new Tribute I just got a couple days ago is awesome and seems to sound better each day. I looks beautiful and its beauty seems to grow each day; the cherry sunburst radiates awesome hues that really look nice. It's my nicest looking LP.

The Tribute I have has a solid one piece thick maple cap on it with no seams, no seams - one clear piece of beautiful maple grain with a few small grain changes to make it look unhomoginized. It plays, as you can imagine, great; great tone, feel with the sixties neck and 57 pickups and great wiring and electronic components. Great addition to my collection that I am upgrading.

I'm sure you will not be disappointed with the Epiphone 59. It is the sibling of my guitar and shoiuld be awesome. Quality should be top of the line Epiphone. Looks way better than in the on line pictures in person as well, an the case is nothing to scoff at by any means, perfect fit.

I think these two models, although expensive, are worthwhile designs that will be appreciated by their owners.

I find it particularly interesting, in light of this discussion, that the Epiphone LP Standard was designed based upon the gibson 59 model in the first place. So there is a heritage there, apparently, at least in concept if not in product designation.

I don't recall seeing it advertized as a 59 reissue, maybe a 59 copy of a gibson would be appropriate but the advertizing doesn't seem to indicate that either.

Maybe it's that the 59 vibe is there. Try one and find out what you think, if you can find one, which I think will be very difficult unless you order on line.

kbaird

Reaction score
haha not going to have this debate again. :)

Well I have one and I love it. Very solid and great sounding.

It beats any gibson studio i have played and in my honest opinion the only upgrade i would take would be a gibson standard. Traditional maybe but this one is definitly one you would gig with and be the first off the wall in my house.

Electronics are all gibson and sound and work as if they were.

I have the iced tea and it is stunning in its looks

Hope this helps and ya there are a couple posts about this already but they were like a month ago.

Listen to this guy.

I also have one and it's great.

TeleDog

Pain in the Rear!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
59 tribute or whatever? When they can't even get the sunburst right, hardly anything of the sort! Maybe some improved pots and pickups, that's about it... Oh, and a cool name to get more $$$ from the customer! :D

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
59 tribute or whatever? When they can't even get the sunburst right, hardly anything of the sort! Maybe some improved pots and pickups, that's about it... Oh, and a cool name to get more $$$ from the customer! :D

And actual maple under the veneer, and a long-tenon, and strap locks, and 2 different neck profile choices, and series/parallel switching, and upgraded locking tuners, and a hard shell case:hmm:

On the '59 though, I totally agree with you on the burst. They went through the trouble of making a "lift-on" themed case, but for the guitar itself they went with a rim-burst? Weird!!!

blues.junior

Reaction score
And actual maple under the veneer, and a long-tenon, and strap locks, and 2 different neck profile choices, and series/parallel switching, and upgraded locking tuners, and a hard shell case:hmm:

On the '59 though, I totally agree with you on the burst. They went through the trouble of making a "lift-on" themed case, but for the guitar itself they went with a rim-burst? Weird!!!

...just my $.02....most of the '59s did actually age into a rimburst...

TeleDog

Pain in the Rear!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Since when the 59's offered series/parallel switches, or different neck profiles? Oh, dunlop straplocks? They didn't even exist back in 1959 I believe.

If you're gonna offer that guitar sure, call it "improved" or "better than shit", but don't use a clear marketing gimmick to fool customers into thinking they're buying anything historic or connected to anything historic.

If that was the case, any LP with a long neck tenon would be called a 59! lol

And for what I've seen, the sunbursts that have aged have done so to become "unbursts" or faded to the point you can only see little traces of red around the perimeter, but they still keep their teardrop shape, have NEVER become "rimbursts".

This new finish just happens to be the same Gibson is using for their Standards, maybe that's what they mean by this 59 bullshit... If they wanna sell a guitar that's closer to the Gibson LP standard (and that's all that one is) then say so, but don't use false advertising.

Chimera

Reaction score
Since when the 59's offered series/parallel switches, or different neck profiles? Oh, dunlop straplocks? They didn't even exist back in 1959 I believe.

He was talking about the Tribute, which has all of those things.

thunderstruck

Reaction score
Have had epi 59 now for 3 months like everything about it except for the burstbucker pickups.Clean tone is okay at best,trying to get them to drive is like pulling wisdom teeth.Marshall,fender,magnatone,Gibson,peavey tube amps just seem to stay clean just get a lot louder.Even pushed with many different pedals same shit.Just looking for a nice classic rock drive nothing to overtop gain wise.Have come to the conclusion they r a sterile sounding pickups for lack of a better word to discribe them.Replacing with some ONX4 low winds soon.Anyone else not liking the burstbuckers?

Latest Threads