58 vos fret size?

Farmboy78

Reaction score
I am new to your forum, but I have read through this site for quite awhile.
I am interested in purchasing a 58 vos but the closest Gibson dealer is about 500 miles away, so I can't try them out or see them for myself. My question that I haven't seen fully addressed is, do the vos 58's have smaller fretwire than the 59's, and if so how much smaller and do the 58's still work well for bending?

Mike60

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
'R8,R8 & R0 '07's have same wire.Very similar or same as 6105,which I prefer.Bends up the wazoo just fine.

Hubba

Reaction score
Hi Farmboy,

Another tip if you're going to buy from a GIbson seller without being able to try the guitar. Try to find a dealer that will send you alot of pictures of the guitar you want to buy. And when you're lucky enough to find a good trustworthy dealer who knows his guitars, you might ask if they pick a fine looking and sounding example. If you explain your situation (i.e living far from the nearest Gibson dealer) they just might want to give you that extra service!

Good luck on finding a nice '58

PK51st

Reaction score
A good excuse for a road trip? :) Haggling face to face might offset the cost of gas and hotel! I played a VOS at 2 different stores. I'm not sure if the first one didn't sound or feel as good, but I couldn't put the 2nd one down! Mighta been the better service at store 2 (GC, can ya believe it?). This is my 4th LP, and hands down the absolute real deal el supremo! The only disclaimer is I love fat neck'd guitars. This guitar has a close feel to my Martin HD28, but a much creamier & lower action. For players that like the 60's slim neck, ya better get your mitts on it first. The kicker for me was the top. Both guitars I tested were plain top cherry. The first guitar had a very nice grain, and the swirls were perfectly well rounded. The 2nd guitar, my guitar, has imperfections in the grain. There are mottled looking areas near top arm rest that are almost figured or spalted (correct term?). Anyhow, for me, the top gives it the mojo & personality. The top is very subjective, and I agree you should be asking for many pics if a roadtrip is out of the question. I say: ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

PK

Attachments

• 58 VOS LP.jpg
    58 VOS LP.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 24

Latest Threads