58 Strat refinished with actual 50's Duco lacquer.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Because it doesn't come in bottles or bags, maybe? :hmm:

I remember when they were phasing out acrylic lacquer. I was tempted to buy out my local automotive paint store's inventory of acrylic lacquer tints and bases for future "vintage paint" sales, but where would I have stored it?

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Come to think of it, I still have about half a gallon of DuPont acrylic lacquer, 380S clear, and it's in perfect shape. It's got to be 20+ years old because I bought it for some paint work on a car I haven't had since about 2000. I just checked it, and yeah, it's fine...and may be just the ticket for a project I need to experiment with.

Dilver

Reaction score
So if it were your guitar, would you want it relic’d or clean?

Joe Desperado

Reaction score
I have a can of lacquer that is at least 50 years old probably older. It looked a bit Carmel collored when I opened it. I gave it a stir and loaded it in my spray gun. It has the most beautiful amber color to it without any tint etc. I wish i had about 20 more quarts of it.

mozzman

Reaction score
At least 35 years ago, i had cases of the stuff. Employer at the time had bought a building to use for storage/light office work. This was in the downtown part of Scranton. Well i was working with one of the sons and we were told to go there and start filling the dumpsters out back so they could get in there and start remodeling. In the basement there were cases of automotive paint, all pints and quarts. I think it was Dupont, could have been other brands too. It was all factory marked 50's 60's with Chrysler, Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge etc. and the years it covered. There was many cases, i loaded my 73 Bronco up many times and brought it up to my dad's house and placed in the front of the house/basement that used to be a barbershop. I probably had 40 cases. All i can remember was really odd colors/ odd names and when opened it was seperated, there was lead or whatever in the bottom and you had to mix it real well to get it usable. Never painted anything with it and it sat for 10 years there. I tried giving it away to a guy who i knew had a lot of old restored cars. He said since it was smaller cans, there was no use as there was not enough to paint a entire car. Even if there were 8 pints the same color (which there were many times over) he said you would have to mix it blah blah and it wasn't worth the trouble. After my father passed away and the house was getting remodeled it all got tossed in a dumpster. I may have a photo polaroid here somewhere of the stash.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Not lacquers, but I have quite a decent stash of assorted mostly metallic colors for future possible guitar projects. However I usually do transparent finishes over figured woods, so WHY do I really have them? Because why not? Because sometimes I find a use for one.

Latest Threads