58 Les Paul Special pots

none2low

Reaction score
That's a bummer, but I'm sure you'll find the right one.

If you don't mind me asking, since we"ve only seen the cavity shot, what else was questionable?

yamariv

Reaction score
In the end, I decided not to purchase the guitar. There were too many questions a about it, the pots included. Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions. I learn so much from this community.

Coming to this one late OP but I think you made a good call. As some of the others mentioned, those aren't Centralab pots. They did do a very convincing job with the soldering but I've never seen a 58 Gibson not have Centralabs. They switched over from IRC between 55-56 ish but in 58 they should all be Centralab with the beginnings of the woodgrain stripes in the metal.

True Vintage Guitar

Reaction score
I disagree here since Gibson didn’t use one brand or another exclusively, although one brand may be much more common than others.

If it’s not the right guitar then I’m glad you passed, but I hope you didn’t pass because of the control cavity. Everything in there looks great to me.

I don’t know the brand of those pots, but here are the same pots on a 1957 Gibson Les Paul Special.

Coming to this one late OP but I think you made a good call. As some of the others mentioned, those aren't Centralab pots. They did do a very convincing job with the soldering but I've never seen a 58 Gibson not have Centralabs. They switched over from IRC between 55-56 ish but in 58 they should all be Centralab with the beginnings of the woodgrain stripes in the metal.

none2low

Reaction score
While I'd be willing to entertain the possibility that a small stash of IRC pots could have surfaced sometime later than '56.

Respectfully, I don't think we can draw any conclusion based upon the obviously modified instrument you've posted as proof.

yamariv

Reaction score
While I'd be willing to entertain the possibility that a small stash of IRC pots could have surfaced sometime later than '56.

Respectfully, I don't think we can draw any conclusion based upon the obviously modified instrument you've posted as proof.

Exactly this! ^^

In my post I didn't say it was impossible to have IRC pots, I said I've never seen it on a stock 58 Gibson.. I've studied and own many vintage pots and wiring harnesses and have never seen a bumble bee mixed with a Grey Tiger cap either.. That pics control cavity has definitely been modified and not a very good example to dispute our experience.

True Vintage Guitar

Reaction score
The '57 Les Paul Special control cavity above is unmodified with original solder. Much stranger things than a mix of Grey Tiger and bumble bee cap happen with Gibson.

none2low

Reaction score
The '57 Les Paul Special control cavity above is unmodified with original solder. Much stranger things than a mix of Grey Tiger and bumble bee cap happen with Gibson.
And what year did those IRC pots in the '57 date to?

Being a dealer you are perhaps privy to seeing things that others of us aren't, but there seems to be some information missing.

Again I'm not trying to imply that either of these guitars are anything less than what they are represented to be, however they are clearly outside the norm.

In situations such as this, its important for would be buyers to remember that P90 guitars represent a special situation vs humbuckers, as the pickup leads can easily be removed from the pickup side leaving a fully intact harness.

jwinger

Reaction score
They switched over from IRC between 55-56 ish but in 58 they should all be Centralab with the beginnings of the woodgrain stripes in the metal.

This statement isn't quite right... plenty of pre 55 Gibson guitars with centralabs!

yamariv

Reaction score
This statement isn't quite right... plenty of pre 55 Gibson guitars with centralabs!

Yes it is, I never said it's a perfect hard rule, nothing is with Gibson. Gibson did switch from IRC to Centralab around 55-56.." Now, my statement above is also referring to a 58 guitar and not talking about possibilities before 55.

True Vintage Guitar

Reaction score
Hmmm, that's a curious control cavity.

I concur, those don't look like centralab pots to my eye either. And the yellow spaghetti tubing on the bumblebees is wrong for '58, but the solder joints don't appear to be messed with. :hmm:

Please be sure to update us once you've been able to do an in hand inspection. Oddities like this always intrigue me.

I found another example the odd bright yellow spaghetti tubing on a 1958 Gibson Les Paul TV Model. Pretty cool! It seems to happen on a lot of 8_5XXX guitars.

Flogger59

Reaction score
My 58 Special had the Centralabs with the flesh colored cloth insulation on the wires.

Kn1

Reaction score
Anyone know which manufacturer these pots are? Are they original to the guitar?

View attachment 532549
I am currently looking at a 1958 LP Special that also has this same harness with IRC pots. Serial # is also 8 4###.
Wondering if there was a run of 58’s in that serial number range loaded with IRC pots….
79B3A84D-0C18-47AD-8251-2697D95B5165.jpeg

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a shot of my all original 56 LP Special cavity, just for entertainment purposes.

image1(2).jpeg

Reactions: Kn1

58 special

Reaction score
also all original 58
First time I've opened any cavities on my guitar. Centralab date code 143738 BA211-1053 500K-02
Was very nervous about connection and stiff wires while moving the pot around to get pics.
58 special SCTV yellow serial# 8-3105
IMG_20211104_151406_0.jpg IMG_20211104_152212_8.jpg

Reactions: Kn1

Latest Threads