58 Custom VOS returned. Thoughts/advice?

Mosster47

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brother, the Heritage is better than the Gibson you purchased in my opinion. The Seymour Duncan 59s sound amazing. The craftsmanship in the Heritage is like nothing I've seen in a long while. Simply perfect. Each one hand made. Their Standard line is on par with a Gibson custom shop. Their Core line is a step above. I was in the same dilemma as you but after playing and feeling the Heritage, I purchased a Core model. You rarely find any used ones on Reverb for sale as we just keep them as they are so good. I hope you consider a Heritage as your next purchase.
This is all 100% subjective and unless you work QC at Gibson and play everything that goes out the door all of us have an extremely small sample size of the total product Gibson puts out every year. I don't keep anything stock and swap pickups, pots, switches, tailpieces, saddles, etc. Depending on the guitar I'll replace the frets as well. I don't just take a guitar out of the box and say "nope." I put it through the paces and if I can't get what I want then it goes.

I've owned a ton of guitars at an individual level, but again like .00001% of Gibson and Fender's total output.

For single cuts Heritage make the nicest single cut I have ever owned. It's like if PRS were making replicas. They are perfect. I couldn't do the headstock.

Custom Shop Gibsons are a bit nicer overall than USA. They're both great guitars. The only Gibson I've ever kept is a USA model. It's a satin mahogany model they made for one year. It sounds incredible. I put a pair of ReWind JP post-72s in them. Beastly.

Just me personally I fell in love with the vintage Tokai stuff. I got a custom shop model of theirs with all the right specs and it's my favorite LP ever. The Rolph 58s it came with are amazing. That's just me though. Tons of people don't like the Japanese made stuff for a lot of reasons.

I promise you can pull an Epi Standard off the rack, throw some stainless medium jumbo frets on it with some locking Grovers, a better bridge, and a set of ThroBaks and you'll have a guitar that will murder just about every stock guitar out there both in playability and tone. It won't be worth anything, but what do you want?

It's really cool to own all theae high end guitars. Once you're through that phase (if that's in your budget) and you start going for keepers for what you want you'll find you're probably spending just as much but in different areas than just the stock instrument.

End rant. No one is smarter having read this, but it's info.

ARandall

Reaction score
I’m not trying to start a versus thread here but I hear the same thing over and over again about Heritage being a better guitar but no one can state why. I just hear their quality is better than Gibson. In my case I have a Gibson Standard Slash that has 0 build issues. The Gibson Custom 58 had 0 QC/Build issues. I was just not impressed enough by the Custom over my Standard. Should I expect to see a big difference in the Heritage Custom Core?
All 'quality' aspects are either fit and finish and how 'perfect' the guitar is, or so personal that it is either a 'feel' issue, or a little abstract. But as everyone is after a different tone or plays differently, it is no surprise that trying to describe quality is a little difficult to get a consistent answer to.
Certainly a lot of what you 'feel' in a high end guitar is just how smooth it is to play and how solid it feels under your fingertips. The best guitars I've made from scratch just feel like the notes scream out of the speaker rather than you having to struggle for nuance. They also are easy to set up with little to no effort to make them play brilliantly.

_xxERICxx_

Reaction score
This is all 100% subjective and unless you work QC at Gibson and play everything that goes out the door all of us have an extremely small sample size of the total product Gibson puts out every year. I don't keep anything stock and swap pickups, pots, switches, tailpieces, saddles, etc. Depending on the guitar I'll replace the frets as well. I don't just take a guitar out of the box and say "nope." I put it through the paces and if I can't get what I want then it goes.

I've owned a ton of guitars at an individual level, but again like .00001% of Gibson and Fender's total output.

For single cuts Heritage make the nicest single cut I have ever owned. It's like if PRS were making replicas. They are perfect. I couldn't do the headstock.

Custom Shop Gibsons are a bit nicer overall than USA. They're both great guitars. The only Gibson I've ever kept is a USA model. It's a satin mahogany model they made for one year. It sounds incredible. I put a pair of ReWind JP post-72s in them. Beastly.

Just me personally I fell in love with the vintage Tokai stuff. I got a custom shop model of theirs with all the right specs and it's my favorite LP ever. The Rolph 58s it came with are amazing. That's just me though. Tons of people don't like the Japanese made stuff for a lot of reasons.

I promise you can pull an Epi Standard off the rack, throw some stainless medium jumbo frets on it with some locking Grovers, a better bridge, and a set of ThroBaks and you'll have a guitar that will murder just about every stock guitar out there both in playability and tone. It won't be worth anything, but what do you want?

It's really cool to own all theae high end guitars. Once you're through that phase (if that's in your budget) and you start going for keepers for what you want you'll find you're probably spending just as much but in different areas than just the stock instrument.

End rant. No one is smarter having read this, but it's info.

Could not have said it better right there. I have owned dozens of Les Pauls and SGs through the decades... 70's, 80's, 90's, 2010's and now some 2020's (sadly, never a 2000's model). I used to avoid the Custom Shop like the plague.

And I am one of those players that can get along with just about any guitar... like Mosster47, I feel very certain that just taking a mid level 600€ Epiphone and putting in just a decent set of pickups will get you very far. Like 85% or more of the way there... 85% where most people wouldn't notice the last 15% being a huge deal. Especially if your money wise.

I can certainly live without CS guitars, but having said that, out of a dozen guitars that I keep currently, six of them are Custom Shop guitars.

I prefer the CS Reissues over USA Gibson's because that last 10% difference between CS and USA is mojo filled fairy dust magic. Pffff. After 33 years of playing it has all come down to inspiration and vibe. I get plenty of vibes from my USA Firebird, but I get an enhanced dose picking up my '20 1960 RI LP or my 68' RI LPC. It's all about how they make me feel and vibe when I am playing.

Maybe there is something there that knowing I paid WAY to much for them makes me like them more. Especially because I do not make a huge income. Who knows... who cares.

Truth, and bottom line is, If you are conscious of your spending, and every responsible person should be (myself excluded of course), there is little to be gained for most people in buying CS over USA. You may get less binding scrape marks... but some quirks come with CS guitars also.. like I have binding bleed on three RI models. It gets worse the more I play, but it doesn't bother me and I think it has minimal impact on resale if I ever needed to recover from my pending future financial disaster.

I rambled too much already.....

goodguy

Reaction score
Similar situation : Own 2020 50’s Standard & recently bought a 2007 R8 … the R8 sounds magical by comparison. Otherwise the necks, etc feel similar. After much research I’ve concluded it’s due to 3 things:
1) Pickups: Both have BB1& BB2’s but 2007 are unpotted.
2) Construction: Long tenon & one piece body on 2007.
3) Wood quality: Supposedly Gibson was using old growth mahogany from Honduran rainforest + Madagascar rosewood at that time (got raided for it just after).
My R8 just sings and the difference between my 50’s Standard is noticeable in tone & resonance. Yes, they are close in spec but miles apart in their end result IMO. I used to think the “finding a magical one” was baloney because I have owned tons on nice high end guitars and while great, I never found them “magical” until I played this 2007 R8.

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there are a couple of things you should keep in mind about Reissues.

One is your music taste. As much as I love vintage Gibsons, most of my favorite records were made with modern era stuff. So it’s just not the tone I search for when I play.

And second, you have to understand you’re stepping into luxury territory. This is not for musicians, it’s for collectors, aficionados and bedroom players. Real working guitarists and touring musicians don’t use reissues, given a very few rockstar exceptions.

Guys in the forum will have the most immaculate description of how their R9 sounds. But how does it cut through the mix? How does is respond in loud gigging volumes? How does it blend with other guitar/mid range instruments? How was does it take the road/tech beating?

This is not a diss by any means. But just a reminder that most people in the forum with the strongest opinions about cork sniffing details have close to none actual gigging/recording experience.

Last edited:

Latest Threads