'58, '59, '60 Bursts and R9 Comparison

Thomas/Sweden

Reaction score
"In this video Simon Karlsson and I compare a 2008 Gibson Les Paul 1959 Reissue R9 to three original Bursts from 1958, 1959 and 1960 which all are pretty different but all mind blowing instruments. The 1960 (early 1960 so 59 specs) being the greatest instrument I have ever played."

Attachments

mdubya

Reaction score
Not a bad tone in the bunch. The recorded tones are different for each, but none is "better."

I did particularly like the warmer but clear tones of the '59 and '60.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
And again no clean neck tone tests. Shrug.

Too much aggressive picking anyway, with that saturation they all sounds pretty much the same.
Fair enough, but on the other hand, who the f#ck uses this model guitar to play clean tones? LOL. Yes, I'm sure you could post a dozen examples to my 2,000, but 90% of the time or more, these axes are not used for clean tone playing. When I think Les Paul, I think classic ROCK tones...Billy Gibbons, Gary Moore, Jimmy Page, and on and on.

My guess is nobody posts "clean neck tone" , or any other pickup combo clean tone because it's fairly irrelevant to the instrument.

dc007

Premium Member
Reaction score
Not a bad tone in the bunch. The recorded tones are different for each, but none is "better."

I did particularly like the warmer but clear tones of the '59 and '60.
I thought the same. The high end was not per say rolled off but just more pleasing to the ear if that makes sense.

bassmannlespaulman

Reaction score
I love to hear clean tones of 58 to 60 burst. I wanna hear the guitar in its natural state. There's a few clips like that...i watched a clip of chris buck playing Bernie madenson 59 the beast burst n the tone he was getting was greater than anything Bernie ever did to me. Bernie tone always sounded really dark. You can tell Chris had the controls full n when he did i understood why it was called the beast. Chris sounds better on it then Bernie imho

Fair enough, but on the other hand, who the f#ck uses this model guitar to play clean tones? LOL. Yes, I'm sure you could post a dozen examples to my 2,000, but 90% of the time or more, these axes are not used for clean tone playing. When I think Les Paul, I think classic ROCK tones...Billy Gibbons, Gary Moore, Jimmy Page, and on and on.

My guess is nobody posts "clean neck tone" , or any other pickup combo clean tone because it's fairly irrelevant to the instrument.

Moni

Banned
Reaction score
I liked the 1958 tone the best, nice clarity and note definition.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
I love to hear clean tones of 58 to 60 burst. I wanna hear the guitar in its natural state. There's a few clips like that...i watched a clip of chris buck playing Bernie madenson 59 the beast burst n the tone he was getting was greater than anything Bernie ever did to me. Bernie tone always sounded really dark. You can tell Chris had the controls full n when he did i understood why it was called the beast. Chris sounds better on it then Bernie imho
Again, I get it. Those clips are there, and I enjoy hearing cleans too, but that’s not the main purpose of the tool.

Gtarzan81

Reaction score

About that......

d1m1

Reaction score
All 4 LP´s sounded different but there was a big difference between the real bursts and the reissue. The real ones had all a deep, wide, open, warm and gentle tone to them, while the reissue quacky, shrill and and soulless sounded (to me). Obviously most of the "bad" tonal qualities of the ressuie are due to the pups. With some good PAF clones (Wizz, Ox4 etc) or even real PAF´s the game could change.

d1m1

Reaction score

Me :thumb: one reason i love LP´s is the clean neck tone

fretboarder

Reaction score
All this video showed is that every les paul can sound different, neither better or worse to each other, some are brighter some are darker some are hotter.. all this 59 burst bull thats flung about on forums is utterly crazy.. IMO...

It is a cool watch though :)

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
I heard differences, for certain....not quite sure if its just pickups....

the 58 was thuddier and still had chime.

The 59 was hotter with a lot of grit. Ballsy

The 60 was bright and airy, clearer than the others

the Modern historic became a sort of flagship for all of them really.

Half of me tells me woods and combinations of density factors , the other half say pickups are a huge factor....

I guess we gotta rip some pickups out of expensive vintage guitars to find out for sure.....

Great video, I loved watching.....thanks!

I didn't know you were a member here!

:applause:

johncapaldi

Reaction score
The aged mellow almost tangerine burst finish on the 59 is to die for. The guitars all sound like Les Paul's with a little bit more brightness and tightness with the 2000 reissue. But I would think bigger factors would be the playability, the fretboard and neck, and the all-around feel of the instrument to determine which you like best. How can you go wrong with any of these? Obviously the 58, 59 and 60 are going to cost in the six-figure range while the 2000 reissue is within the grasp of most musicans. However if you had the disposable money and the access to buy one, the 58 , 59 and 60 would seem to be good investments. Who knows how high they will get in the future. Crazy enough, when I started playing guitar in the early 80s these guitarist could be found and bought easily for just a few thousand dollars. that seemed to be a lot of money back then when you could buy a brand new Les Paul Standard for around $600-$700. My first Les Paul Standard custom shop in a gorgeous tobacco Burst finish cost $650. It is pristine and I could probably get around $10,000 for it today. Who knew then that in 30 years the 58, 59 and 60s would appreciate a hundred fold?

SAULtime

Reaction score

drmmrr55

Reaction score
Who plays clean neck tones...a certain Mr Les Paul did.
Pat Martino too
And so on....
Btw, that was the purpose of the instrument, to be a jazz guitar
I don't get it that because the vintage LP's are revered by players, as they do sound SO good distorted, that some people assume it was Gibson's intended purpose for the Les Paul. The LP came out in 1952, and was around for 5 years BEFORE humbuckers were installed in them. The Les Paul model was intended as a Jazz type guitar, and nobody from that era, intentionally overdrove their amps into higher gain distortion. They were intended to sound clean, and the purpose of the solid body was to take the wood out of the equation, and rely on the pickups for maximum sustain, NOT distortion! They just were discovered to be a great platform for intentional distortion by rock guitarists later on...

BTW, those cool leads in "Rock Around The Clock" by Bill Haley & the comets, was done on a '54 Les Paul Custom, and in my opinion, were some great clean tones!

Last edited: