57 Les Paul Special Authentication Help

tomh8

Reaction score
I’m in the process of getting more pics. The slanted serial worries me and the high dot on the i, but I did see another 57 example on reverb with a high dot. I’m no expert but the electronic cavity looks good and so does the rest from what I can tell. Please tell me what you think.
Thanks

ECD5902F-699D-432D-8F3A-FC364D2E0B8D.png 4A139E0D-C521-476E-80C1-32E687EABC06.png 8D7C33C0-65F3-454A-AAD6-52237825A85D.png 5D329C70-363F-418C-AF12-AE90CF6CD65D.png

LocoTex

Reaction score
I like the color....that wheat kind of color that some TV Gibsons get.

ESchmidt

Reaction score
Looks correct to me. Serial numbers were put on my hand, not a machine so a slightly crooked one would be somewhat normal. Also, the high dot is fairly common. I wouldn’t worry about those “issues”

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Have just compared all photos in detail with my '57 Special. Logo on headstock it too "right" in every other way for it to be anything other than correct, the dot on the "i" isn't something I'd care about, as they did move around a little. Almost everything else looks perfectly correct, except for that very slanted serial number. It's not that it's so slanted, the number spacing looks too wide as well, except for the gap between the first two sevens, which looks too narrow. And while it looks like the right font, possibly a tiny bit smaller than the originals. I think it's a correct guitar, but has possibly had some finishing work done and the serial number re-applied.

Not aiming for granny sucking eggs tuition, but those tuners are later repros, and different from originals. Originals have plain brass shafts. Looks a cool guitar, but that serial would trouble me a little. I just checked my '57 Junior as well. Same deal with serial. 7 - big enough space for another number - then 4 digits closer spaced.

Cavity, and everything else seems right to me.

Liam

tomh8

Reaction score
Thanks very much guys, I am going to check it out tomorrow night. Very excited. Will bring blacklight to make sure back of headstock doesn’t have a hidden repair, I thought the tuners were repro too.

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Mike, you got there first, finally hooked a camera up. Here's my '57 Special, and '57 Junior for comparison - same stamp, different colour ink:
IMG_20200922_212444.jpg
IMG_20200922_212455.jpg

Tuners and screws are from a '55 that I play too regularly to risk shrunken tuners - I think the original '57 screws may have been Phillip head, but I bought the guitar with repro tuners that look identical to the ones in the OP. I have to say they are not great, but current Kluson (WD) repros with 1/4" shafts (NOT the 6mm ones) are a perfect fit and work fine.
IMG_20200922_212647.jpg

IMG_20200922_212656.jpg

Screen printed logo on the Junior, tuners and screws are original to the guitar on this one, but a little beaten where someone has re-tightened the gears.

Hope that helps.

Liam

Reaction score
It looks OK from the pictures you have posted. Ideally more pictures needed of the frets and binding, p/ups and p/up cavities and switch and switch cavity. Pots and caps look legit and solder looks untouched. As others have said that serial number looks very wrong (wrong font, spacing, angle) so what's the story there? Also tuners aren't original. I'd make sure you have a thorough inspection including blacklighting it before making any kind of offer. That serial number makes me suspicious that it has had a repair to the headstock at some point. Blacklight should reveal that.

Mark_the_Knife

Reaction score
The crooked and misplaced serial number is the only detraction that would lower the price of the guitar, assuming no parts were replaced. I would get the seller to lower his price by a few hundred dollars on that point. The other consideration is what the market price is on the '57 LP Special. Are you getting a fair price, all things considered? For some, sound may be the most important characteristic. Bursts are one of the few categories of guitars where sound is a tertiary deciding factor.

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
One has to ask...why was the s/n changed?

58 special

Reaction score
Maybe not changed. Guitar or stamp could have been bumped /moved in the stamping process.

Brek

Reaction score
You’d think that is someone had gone to trouble of faking it, they would have redone the serial number properly. Maybe it had a refinish/repair and deliberately misplaced by the luthier as an ‘indicator’ pure supposition though on my part.

lewis_grey

Reaction score
The guitar looks right to me but that serial number is definitely wrong, had to have been re-done. Not necessarily a huge deal on it’s own but ‘why’ it’s been done could have larger implications! I’d be seriously looking for signs of repair around there and want a pretty decent discount even if it checks out ok....you’ll always have to explain the issue if/when it comes time to re-sell.

Also don’t become so fixated on the serial number you lose sight of everything else, still remember to be on the lookout for things like pickup swaps etc...

yamariv

Reaction score
I just find that odd, I can't see Gibson sending out a high quality instrument like that with a Serial # being that crooked. Just my 2 cents..

Brek

Reaction score
was it considered 'high quality' back then though?, just a budget student guitar iirc.

yamariv

Reaction score
was it considered 'high quality' back then though?, just a budget student guitar iirc.
Everything at Gibson back then was high quality, Gibson was always a very high end builder and still is. The Junior was their entry guitar which was head over heals better quality than most other brands entry guitars at that time. Notice how Juniors are constantly played by Pros now and are considered pro guitars, that's the build and quality.. Also, the Special was not really a student guitar..binding, 2 pickups, MOP inlay..

Anyway, all this to say that Gibson would have never let that serial number out the door from the factory like that, no way at all.. Not saying the guitar isn't real, just the OP should be aware that something's been done on the headstock and to price accordingly..

58 special

Reaction score
i don't necessarily see a different font. the rubber on the stamp will distort if any component in the stamping process is moved.

Latest Threads