'57 Custom VOS - your thoughts - thick vs slim neck

bluefrog

Reaction score
Yes a thicker neck can be even a good workout tool for the left hand vs cramps orthpaedic issues.
I had 5 year ago a serious issue with the left hands tendon/senew and wrist.
I used to play thinner necks (Strat, Samick335 etc), then I tested a Duesenberg Starplayer. And this thicker neck was the cure the hand relaxed and after a while even my playing improved.
So be not shy for thicker necks in general!
today I am playing the thinner neck of the standard 2003 a while but I get very quickly adapt to the bit thicker neck of the goldtop 1957.

Positron

Reaction score
I own a 58 VOS that has a fairly fatter neck than my American Strat. Before buying it I was also a bit concerned if I could adjust to the fatter neck. However, during a very short time it actually feels more comfortable for me (I don't have very large hands.. probably medium :d)..

Before buying the 58' what I did was playing it in the shop for half an hour, and then 1 week after I did the same thing. The second time I played it, felt much more natural for some reason. I would highly recommend doing something like this :)

stinger

Reaction score
I own a 58 VOS that has a fairly fatter neck than my American Strat. Before buying it I was also a bit concerned if I could adjust to the fatter neck. However, during a very short time it actually feels more comfortable for me (I don't have very large hands.. probably medium :d)..

Before buying the 58' what I did was playing it in the shop for half an hour, and then 1 week after I did the same thing. The second time I played it, felt much more natural for some reason. I would highly recommend doing something like this :)

Sounds like a good approach if you are inexperienced with the thicker necks. When I got my R7 the thick neck was a bit of a shock. I had no problem with it but for some it would be a good idea to test this out before hand because some just don't like a big neck.

Latest Threads