57 Custom Reissue Replacement Tuners, 2019 Neck Profile

rydia is hot

Reaction score
Hey everyone! It looks like I very likely have a 2019 57 Reissue LP Custom VOS coming my way. I would have preferred to find a 68 since I like maple tops, but the B7 was basically new old stock, so full warranty and awesome price :cool:

Anyways, I've never liked the chesspiece/plastic tuning heads, so I'm probably going to replace them. Does anyone know of a replacement that will drop straight in? I've read that the waffle back tuners have different screw spacing than some other tuners.

If there's not a drop-in replacement, could someone verify the hole size and if the stock wafflebacks have press-in bushings? I figure I may be able to find something from Hipshot's griplock series with the UMP.

Lastly, what is the neck carve like on more recent 57s? I've read that the 68s have slimmed down some and that the 57's are more vintage-correct after taking some cues from the True Historic series, but I'm curious if someone could be more specific.

Thanks in advance!

searswashere

Reaction score
Oh damn I thought these would be waffelback like the 68RI.

My buddy and I compared his '20 R7BB to my '22 68RI and found the necks to be pretty much identical. We're pretty sure the fret size is different on them versus the necks being a different shape.

My 68RI is the fattest neck I own at 0.889-1.037.

1allspub

Reaction score
Don’t know about the 68 RIs, but my 2022 57 RI BB7 is on the fatter side... 0.915 & 1.007 (1st & 12th). Very comfortable to me (but I like ‘em fat).

I like the stock tuners, so can’t help you there, but @LPaddicted ’s suggestion seems to be the perfect solution for you.