'57 conversion

tag2

Reaction score
There are a couple of things that bother me about this guitar.

The logo is correct for a later '57, but it is not a '57, so I would expect the logo to be lower.

No sign of P-90's having been in there. Could have been over routed or filled, but usually the holes remain in the tenon.

The horn looks too pointy from the front and back.

To my eyes, the tail piece and bridge look to be in the correct position.

Disclaimer: These are only photos and I am not an expert. This is just my personal opinion.

boogieongtr

Reaction score
The auction says it's a 53 or 54. It can't be a 54 or the bushing holes would have to be plugged. It might be an early 53 (with a trap tailpiece) but most of them did not have a neck angle that would work with an ABR1. The bumble bees are not right. The colors on the caps are not right. The horn looks to pointy and off.

Pete M

Reaction score
From the photos :cool: it looks like it is what he says it is - a refinished, parted out, repaired goldtop. Top finish looks original, and you can see the slight hint of a P90 route in the bridge cavity where the overspray has sunk in.

The headstock Gibson logo is a modern replacement, so therefore the headstock holly overlay was likely replaced. Combined with the stinger it has more than likely had a major headstock repair, and he says it had a heel repair too. So a neck smash at some point.

Probably had a wraptail and the holes covered up which would explain the tailpiece placement although it's hard to see where any holes were. If it was a trapeze it should have an extra ground route in the control cavity. I'd be interested to know if there were any holes by the bottom strap pin, something to resolve what tailpiece it had originally.

Hey, I like the case! :thumb:

Oh and the price seems a bit optimistic with all the issues? :hmm:

EDIT: I see it was for sale at the Dallas show as per the auction. I'm sure many checked it out in person?:

Fletch

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Control cavity looks way off.

fletch

Tidewater

Reaction score
Cavity looks fine. I am not going to say why or how or give any disertations.

RAG7890

Reaction score
I heard the owner of this one was entertaining an offer of $11,500 at the recent Nashville Show.

:cheers:

Tidewater

Reaction score
It is mojo. If it plays half what it looks like the thing is worth having at that 'entertaining' price. Would it pass as an original? Is that what we demand? Are we going to start tearing down torn up guitars now? Really?

You gonna buy that thing or one of those CC#299 and the funky bunch pieces off of Henry?

No offense to whomever CC is this week.

RAG7890

Reaction score
It is mojo. If it plays half what it looks like the thing is worth having at that 'entertaining' price. Would it pass as an original? Is that what we demand? Are we going to start tearing down torn up guitars now? Really?

You gonna buy that thing or one of those CC#299 and the funky bunch pieces off of Henry?

No offense to whomever CC is this week.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:.................now that is seriously funny M............the last two lines. :laugh2: :wave:

Cheers, Rudi

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I agree with many of the points noted above. The pointiness of the horn is reminiscent of several '52s (and perhaps early '53s?) I've seen. And the tailpiece angle looks like the work of Cris Mirabella. While Cris is a master craftsman, this is a detail he often got "wrong", especially in his early conversion years, when less emphasis was placed on vintage accuracy.

Frank

CDaughtry

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm a little late to this party, but at that "entertaining" price I'd be all over this thing. Cool guitar.:applause:

RevWillie

Reaction score
I'm OK with the dealer but I'm not OK with the guitar. It's an enigma, an ellifiknow, and I'm not sure it originated in a certain northern US city. Like another recent infamous guitar, some of it looks good and some of it looks WTF. YMMV

Fletch

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Still not feeling the control cavity. No reason for the chew mark to be on the bottom. Not feeling the checking either... looks like maybe a razor blade job.

But hey what can you tell from pictures on the internet...

fletch

Latest Threads