'56 Goldtop from Les Paul Studio conversion project.

TheZ

Reaction score
Awesome! Can't wait to see more!

badly drawn les

Reaction score
OK, time to slap some paint on. I started with the headstock face. A few coats of black, then scrape off over the logo with a scalpel, then a few coats of tinted clear.

badly drawn les

Reaction score
Flatten off, then the waterslide logo from my buddy Phil. Ready for clear top coats.

badly drawn les

Reaction score
I like some tinted lacquer on the mahogany but it can look too orange on the binding, so I mask it off first.

badly drawn les

Reaction score
I do the spraying in the warehouse at work, where I have plenty of space. So, gold on. I use Manchester Guitar Tech for the nitro, Steve always treats me well & the quality is top.

badly drawn les

Reaction score
Then many top coats on. It was a bit too "new" looking, so I mixed a little tobacco brown in the clear, which knocked it back a little. Then the boring bit, waiting for it to cure & wet sanding. Then cutting compound on a foam pad with the orbital sander. I did this in the winter, so it took ages to cure, maybe 3 months. Then into the freezer to get some checking going.

badly drawn les

Reaction score
While it was curing I got on with ageing the fittings, that's the fun bit.

badly drawn les

Reaction score
I treated myself to a tall freezer, the old under-counter was fine for bolt-ons but I was fed up with doing Gibbos with the neck sticking out of the door. Checking usually occurs after a few cycles of freezer overnight, then into the airing cupboard with the water heater. However, I was delighted to see this check as soon as I opened the freezer door. Result.

badly drawn les

Reaction score
I rub some dark wood stain into the cracks to accentuate them. When I'm happy, I can do a bit of bashing & scraping.

Reactions: n32

badly drawn les

Reaction score
I tried to get some green tint going with salt & white vinegar but after a week, nothing was happening. I then tried some green oil paint thinned in white spirit but again, nothing. I'll wait until summer & get some proper sweat on it.
Any tips welcome.

TheZ

Reaction score
It just keeps getting better. Wow!

Latest Threads