'56/'57 Conversion

burstone

Reaction score
The angled placement of the bridge looks sharper than later models - do you think it was originally a combined wraparound tailpiece/bridge? or perhaps it's just the camera angle/lens.

I love the look of that guitar though, I take that over almost anything in BOTB :)
Sometime in the past, one of the previous owners moved the bass side of the bridge post slightly farther down and plugged the original location. Perhaps done in an effort to achieve better intonation?

fernieite

Reaction score
Nice! Man, that thing's been played!

Are they PAFs or something else?
What about the PU mounting rings? If they're 50s M69s, they're worth a lot!

ARandall

Reaction score
Somewhat sad that a p90 guitar was lost in the process, but I'm glad it was only the pickups that were the extent of the change. Too many of these more limited production goldtops (especially 52's -54's) get butchered because someone wants a 59.

Would also like to know what is in it.....they're too square cornered for T-tops.

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The angled placement of the bridge looks sharper than later models - do you think it was originally a combined wraparound tailpiece/bridge? or perhaps it's just the camera angle/lens.
I was going to ask the exact same thing. The bridge angle looks way off to me.

Sometime in the past, one of the previous owners moved the bass side of the bridge post slightly farther down and plugged the original location. Perhaps done in an effort to achieve better intonation?
This makes perfect sense. Back once upon a time, guitar owners and techs/luthiers didn't care about retaining vintage specs, and cared more about playability...which is not necessarily a bad thing, I guess. In fact, many earlier conversions were done the same way, even by some of the most respected techs/luthiers.

And congrats, btw! Absolutely gorgeous guitar!

Frank

LPTDMSV

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could well be, yes, it's not uncommon to see the low E and sometimes the A too right at the back of their travel on a Tune-o-Matic.. Or perhaps they had a problem with a snapped/loose stud and thought it was easier to re-drill and try again than to fix the existing one. Or both :)

I hope the guitar sounds as good as it looks!

burstone

Reaction score
Lots of smoky nights and bars with that good'un.........many stories for sure :cool:
Yes, Sir! There are stories to be told seeping from the cracks and crannies. :cheers2:
It's been played out and changed hands among pro players since its conversion in the mid '70s until I got it in 2015 and rescued it from those awful circumstances. ;)

Latest Threads