'55 R5 reissue question

uncle mud

Reaction score
I'm in the market for one of these '55 reissues. They came in a few different configurations, and I'm looking for one with Humbuckers and a wrap around bridge. All of the information on the value of these that I can find is about 6 yrs old. It seems that in 2021 these are almost impossible to find. I found one for sale in exc. condition and the owner is asking $5,999.00. Wow! I bought one with P90's about six months ago for $3,999.00 in mint condition. What's going on with values? Could that guitar possibly be worth $6000.00? Thanks for any input.

BA-CHEE

Reaction score
I'm in the market for one of these '55 reissues. They came in a few different configurations, and I'm looking for one with Humbuckers and a wrap around bridge. All of the information on the value of these that I can find is about 6 yrs old. It seems that in 2021 these are almost impossible to find. I found one for sale in exc. condition and the owner is asking $5,999.00. Wow! I bought one with P90's about six months ago for $3,999.00 in mint condition. What's going on with values? Could that guitar possibly be worth $6000.00? Thanks for any input.

For comments, I would suggest you post pics of both of the guitars you are talking about. Good luck in your search for "dream" guitar!!!

calieng

Reaction score
I sold one like that from 2010 with humbuckers earlier this year for mid $4k. It was close to mint condition cherry burst flame top.

I see a few P-90 new ones floating around.

I would probably look for a Beck Oxblood again if I was in the market for a humbucker wrap tail.

DanD

Reaction score
That run was called '55 Hot Mod.

Some are simply '55s with P90s, ABR 1, and an off center top. These were supposed to replicate a stock '55 that was refinished with a sunburst.

Others are more like a '54 that was refinished and humbuckers added.

They were done in a few runs. Probably less than 100 in the wild. I've seen them listed at steep prices but I personally wouldn't pay those prices. I think anything over 4k is wishful thinking based on rarity.

If you gotta have it then go for it. But you can get far more bang for the buck with a JB model or one of the many JB like runs with humbuckers and a stop tail.

uncle mud

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies. I believe, like you say, the seller is counting on it's rarity to bring a large premium. I'll keep looking. I always appreciate the education I receive here.

uncle mud

Reaction score
For comments, I would suggest you post pics of both of the guitars you are talking about. Good luck in your search for "dream" guitar!!!
I realize that forum members always want pictures. I'm an old analog man. Severely cyber challenged, and don't know how to do it. I think all the experts here knew what I was talking about. You can view the guitar on Reverb if you'd like to see or buy it.

Justin_Case

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sold this one @ 6 years ago

kvtmsundmxyorl75i74c.jpg

This one @ 7trs ago

du1bznmknpdrotr8k2dk.jpg

ife67ywthxxmgrhbb39a.jpg

Shots on the Net

woq2rc87pjfahe0ggiey.jpg

DanD

Reaction score
Those first 4 are indicative of the majority of the Hot Mod run.

Cali's example sports a much nicer top than usual.

Airplane

Reaction score
Geez please stop posting these, these are the perfect LPs!

calieng

Reaction score
The neck on mine was a soft V shape. Very comfortable. One of the guitars I probably should have kept but I still struggle to reduce the collection....only a few more days until the next Les Pauls Anonymous meeting...

BA-CHEE

Reaction score
Gold Top in Case.JPG

Or, you can do something STOOPID Like add HBuckers to a 1971 GTop that originally came with P90s.
Gold Top in Case.JPG

Latest Threads