52 things every father should teach his son

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMV

Reaction score
#34 - The "firm handshake"...

Yes, it's a good thing to not be a deadfish, but don't be a handcrusher. You guys suck, too.

Sorry, I'll be more considerate of your lady-hands next time.

I kid. :laugh2: Seriously, though, this is good advice. I like to say "know your audience" when it comes to handshakes. I work in construction and just about every handshake on the job is VERY firm. I sometimes forget that when I hang out with friends of mine who only ever work in an office environment and am met with a look of terror when I squeeze their hand. :laugh2:

Digger

Dingo Lover!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
#34 - The "firm handshake"...

Yes, it's a good thing to not be a deadfish, but don't be a handcrusher. You guys suck, too.

I taught my boys how to shake hands the right way and I also taught them to look the person straight in the eye while doing it.

It's important around here.

VerbalPuke

Reaction score
I think balance is the key. You want to raise a confident kid that wont back down to adversity, but you don't want a kid that looks for or causes trouble with others. You don't want a kid to discriminate against people based on their looks, but a kid should have good situational awareness and not be caught as a victim because they didn't pay attention to their surroundings.

As for the grill thing. My dad has always been a propane guy, and I on the other hand opted for charcoal. We can both cook a good steak at either of our homes (of course mine is slightly better :)).

Jimmi

Reaction score
So in your opinion men should have power over women? There's a lot on this list that promotes inequality in various ways. If in your opinion that's ok, then I don't know what to tell you.

Do you see a difference between not letting someone have power over you and lording power over them? I think it is ok to tell someone that they always have the choice and to not let someone dictate to them. Doesn't have to be women but remember this is a talk to a son in particular and because of the nature of the relationship, a woman can exploit particular vunerabilities just as men can do the same to them. It is phrased a bit differently but I so no issue with the broader idea of being your own person.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
44) Go to Barbers

A Barber is trained to cut men’s hair. A hair stylist is trained to cut women’s hair. Always look for the red and white Barber’s pole to find a Barber.

Correction: A barber is trained to cut men's hair so everyone looks like a freakin' stromtrooper. Screw that and stylists; be man enough to go natural! (mine's a ponytail almost to my belt.)

About 40% of the list is right on (and things I taught my sons - though none of them wears a ponytail, the sissies). The rest is racism, mysogyny, and foolishness.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
It's easier to remember the truth.
Don't do or say anything you can't own later.
Don't fart in restaurants when I'm sitting next to you.
Barre your chords like a man.
Don't shoot 8-ball against a one-legged trucker.
Kick turns have to be fluid.
Don't touch my Nova until I'm dead.
Look up when you walk; the ground will be there, I promise.
There's probably a few more.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
*falls through manhole*

*wins $150,000 lawsuit against city*.....;)

Seriously, he walks through Disneyland staring down and bumping into every person there. He's 10 and he's great, but there are habits I must fix.

(Like chewing with his mouth closed....:))

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
I reckon my Dad taught me a good 50% of this and tried and failed to teach another 25%.

The main lessons I got were:

1) I'm a ****ing useless piece of **** wimp
2) I should stop ****ing crying or he'll give you something to cry about
3) Women are all stupid ****s, especially my mother, so don't get married.
4) If I get in a fight and the other guy doesn't look as bad as I do he'll make me look even worse.

joba

Reaction score
Many good generalized concepts. My Father taught me how to walk like a Man. I miss him everyday. Reminds me of a saying, " I never realized how right my Father was until my son told me I was wrong."

Engel

Reaction score
O M G L O L

It's a list on a forum. If you took it that seriously, you need to take a break from the internet.

How am I taking it seriously? Actually, I thought I was doing the exact opposite, but there are some folks here taking it very seriously (which worries me):

Many things on that list are right on the money, how I was raised.

That was really really cool Malikon, thanks.

I have two teenage sons. They're gonna see it.

I won't dwell on the specifics, but the idea is sound.

have to say I agree with most if not all of it, since a lot of it was stuff I was taught and raised...

I love it

You love it?

I didn't realize it was that. . . serious!

defcrew

Reaction score
Many good generalized concepts. My Father taught me how to walk like a Man. I miss him everyday. Reminds me of a saying, " I never realized how right my Father was until my son told me I was wrong."

“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.”
Mark Twain

ZWILDZR1

Reaction score
The three most important things are?

1. How to change the oil in a car.
a. This will serve him well in the years to come and also save him big in repair bills and the cars that will go many miles. Also real men change their own oil and never go to a quick change or Jiffy Lube.

2. Marksman ship.
b. This applies to all his guns. Marksmanship is important whether hitting a target at 800 plus yards or not hitting the toilet seat a few feet right in front. The later will make wives and girlfriends so happy.

3. Drinking bear.
c. This is very important as it effects so many things if you get it wrong.
Like it is ok to have a bear before or during an oil change. But too many and you may forget to put the new oil in or the nut back on the oil pan. Never mix alcohol and firearms or you might just end up walking the Green Mile.

So lets recap these three things.
1. Changing the oil.
C5-C6-Maintenance-3.jpg

2. Marksmanship.
MarineSniper_Spotter.jpg

3. Drinking bear.
I-dont-always-drink-beer-meme.jpg

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
How am I taking it seriously? Actually, I thought I was doing the exact opposite, but there are some folks here taking it very seriously (which worries me):

Don't worry where I'm concerned. I managed to get through 57 years of life with the upbringing I had without help or concern from you, and consider myself extremely lucky for being blessed with fantastic parents.

I don't need you to worry about me. You can run along and worry about something else.

:wave:

gokuangus

Reaction score
The particular point I was referring to clearly alludes to us having "rightful power" over women. Your interpretation clearly ignores the underpinnings of the actual message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads