52 Les Paul Questions

vibroluxe

Reaction score
My good friend has a ‘52 Les Paul that his mom bought new back in the day. It’s had a rough life - headstock has been broken twice, modified to play better, banged up a bit from my friend playing it in a rock band, etc - but is in decent shape in my opinion. Trapeze tailpiece has been removed and a tune-o-magic was installed back in the 80’s(?) for tuning stability and improved playability.

I’d like to help him get it back in playing shape, not do a restoration at this time. However, I’d like the parts he uses to get it there to be as close to correct within his budget. I think he’d like to get it playing first and possibly tackle some of the bigger resto work (like the peg head face) a little at a time.

The two things I’d like home to do first are to replace the missing and sanded down inlays with matching, vintage correct ones, and get some repro tuners to get the headstock looking halfway decent.

Can I get recommendations on where to get those 2 items and an approximate cost? Thanks!
320BD4AF-4949-4C4F-8BBD-FC4F24EA2397.jpeg
0B376119-2CB6-422E-B23E-146D292427B3.jpeg
1F587BBE-0F16-42C0-8E7A-91DA1B38DA76.jpeg
F5C1425C-1B2B-4E2C-BEA8-A9127F458B7A.jpeg

Last edited:

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
Here are the inlays...

As far as the tuners go, if the existing holes haven’t been reamed, replacement tuners shouldn’t be a problem.

Great looking guitar! Are the pickups original?

vibroluxe

Reaction score
Thanks Victor! I think the holes just may be in the right place. Thanks for the tip on the inlays and tuners.

Yes, pickups, knobs, electronics are original.

I think it’s a great looking guitar as well. My friend was embarrassed to send me pics, he though it was a wreck. I told him guys spend bucks to get guitars to look like that!

Thanks again - John

rialcnis

Reaction score
I became an expert on what NOT to do with my 1952. If I was able to go back in time and knowing what I know now. I would have put it away and bought another, less vintage to play. Let some future collector decide what to do in 10-20 years after paying the owner a huge amount Just the pickups, knobs, case and electronics are are already worth a fortune.

Last edited: