52-53 les paul goldtop

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Well he aint lying, he noticed the tunings keys are a different shade but he didn't notice they are different tuners altogether :laugh2:

dango123

Reaction score
I could be offbase here, but looks like this was refinished at some point - the worn look at the headstock looks out of sync with the newer-looking finish on the body. Also, the heel has an odd glue-line where the neck meets the body - this would have to be a screaming deal to make it worth it IMO.

shark

Reaction score
if it has been refinned then it wont hurt to fix it up some...still going to sell for in my opinion 12 to 15k..
3k today..
a good deal would be 8k and fixer up for about 2k .. players grade at 10k :)

BSeneca

Reaction score
I could be offbase here, but looks like this was refinished at some point - the worn look at the headstock looks out of sync with the newer-looking finish on the body. Also, the heel has an odd glue-line where the neck meets the body - this would have to be a screaming deal to make it worth it IMO.
if it has been refinned then it wont hurt to fix it up some...still going to sell for in my opinion 12 to 15k..
3k today..
a good deal would be 8k and fixer up for about 2k .. players grade at 10k :)
THis is definitely refinished. The gold is way off. Look at my avatar. Mine is all gold as well. Totally different gold

dango123

Reaction score
THis is definitely refinished. The gold is way off. Look at my avatar. Mine is all gold as well. Totally different gold
I noticed the color issues as well, was chalking it up to bad lighting as I can't believe anyone would think it is even close to in the ballpark color-wise ;)

shark

Reaction score
up to 6600.00 for an arguably re finned 52-53

gold in the pocket looks good. they might have been a rattle can gold mist applied at some point bec the finish does look clean and cant see much green in it.

my initial thoughts are if they put 3 tuners that didnt belong on it why would they do much else?

cheers happy july 4th!!

Last edited:

boogieongtr

Reaction score
An all gold refin can hide a multitude of sins. I've been burned before but never again. They would need pics of the guitar before the refin for me to consider.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
I'm guessing the tuners are because it fell/was dropped, and bent up the bass-side ones.

It's now at $7600. For a '52. At that price, I'd max a credit card in a second, & talk Her out of the divorce later - but that full-body refin makes me wonder what else happened in the fall.........

rialcnis

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's the original finish. My old one looked like that. A faint greenish. The tuners must have had an issue and three were replaced. A probable repair.
Head cracks.

Last edited:

rialcnis

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Darn. I just bought too much stuff...This is a tempting thing.

Frutiger

Reaction score
This is absolutely a refinished guitar.

You can see where it's been masked in the control cavity - that's not Gibson factory work, not even close. The gold on the bottom of the cavity is original, the rest is not. The picture of the heel shows the original darker gold under the refinish, as does a part of the cavity that was badly masked.

Double LP silkscreen on the headstock looks like it could be factory though.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That gold isn't even close.

rialcnis

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The weird, greenish-grey top looks much like my 1952 I purchased in late1966 or early '67. The gold paint can oxidize to greenish. Sometimes a uniform greenish like mine or sometimes a splotchy green.

This one had new Gold over the repaired areas, IMO.

I wish I had never sanded away that ugly geenish-grey.

Last edited:

shark

Reaction score
well it must have exceeded my limit of 10k bec it sold and i didnt get the email :(

someone got a nice project guitar just clean all the dirt off and repaint it :)

Latest Threads