50s wiring question

bassmannlespaulman

Reaction score
All of my guitars are 50s wired & sound great. ...thing is this I watch videos like this https://youtu.be/8eUpBvwSGpY & see that my 50s wired guitars don't sound like the tapering of the tone knobs on his.

As you can see when in the middle position of the 1960 lp...it takes a few turns before one pickup cancels out the other & is still subtly coloring the tone of the more dominant pickup *whichever ones volume is higher)...to whereas mine let's say my volume on the neck is 8 & the bridge 6 or 5 it'll cancel out the bridge completely & sound like a neck pickup. ...I'm not sure if my 50s wiring isn't wired correctly or there's just something magical about the old CTS pots of old ..but I notice he has a lot more color & variation in his tone on that 1960 lp standard just using the volume & tone knobs....a part of me thinks its the pots or maybe I need to crank up like jd Simo did to really hear it. ...

Help me figure this out guys

El Kabong

Reaction score
Those are probably original 700kish Centralab pots in his burst... not CTS. If you can find some of those you might be able to get the same tapering... original PAFs are also much more responsive to tone controls than most 'inferior' copies... and no one can copy JDs touch... which doesn't translate that well at all to video.

El Kabong

Reaction score
Nothing alike... most Centralabs spec out in the 6-700k range and neither CTS nor Bournes make those. When Gibson switch from Centralabs to CTS in '63 (I think) the pickups were wound differently to accommodate the lower resistance. I've just received a few sets of BKP 550k CVSs... those are probably the closest around in terms of resistance... although the taper is still wrong... these are +/- 10% while I think Centralabs are more like +/- 30%. One of the components they used is now illegal or something which makes it impossible to reproduce them in the U.S. Maybe China could do it though...

Its been awhile since I looked at the specs, so I may be off. Some more info here.

Big Monk

They call me Derek. Formerly EpiLP1985
Reaction score
I'd say it's more the taper of the pot than anything else.

Those old Centralab pots had something more akin to a linear taper with ratios of 70:30 and 60:40.

I've always had good luck with higher resistance (500K+) linear taper pots for more responsive control.

Latest Threads