50's wiring = +, Audio Taper pots = +/-

1981 LPC

Reaction score
Last year I wanted to try something different than the original 300K linear taper pots in my '81 Custom (the original volume pots died 10 years ago and were replaced so I wasn't bothered with hacking into an original wiring harness).

I bought a Jonesy pre-wired harness: 50's wiring with dependent volumes, audio taper long shaft pots CTS500XL, caps are a Sprague .015 Q on the neck and a USA .022 on the bridge. He's very good to deal with, very neatly made harness.

Overall: love the 50's wiring. Works as advertised! The higher value pots worked great in the neck position but at first the bridge position was too thin & trebly for my taste... even with the tone knob on 2. It took a bit of fiddling with the pickup heights to get them balanced in terms of volume and to get a nice tone from the neck pickup.

Side note: if you've never done so before, please fiddle with your pickup height. It can make a huge difference and prevent you from needlessly swapping pickups/pots/caps.

I'm still not sure whether I prefer linear taper or audio taper. On the one hand audio taper tone pots are great: I find myself now using the tone knobs where I barely used them before. But on the other hand I don't find audio taper volume pots useful because of the huge drop off.

A bit later I boogered one of the volume pots so I ordered a set of two CTS "True Vintage Taper" 500L Longshaft ones. Couldn't hear much difference... (For those members that live in Europe: you can find them at Crazy Parts) Might go to 500K linear taper.

FFXIhealer

Reaction score
You and me both, guy. I detest audio-tapers in my volume pots, but I HATE linear-tapers in the tone pots. No wonder Gibson uses the pots they do...almost as if they knew what was going on.... :hmm:

1981 LPC

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. That's quite a long read. I'd better go make coffee.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Overall: love the 50's wiring. Works as advertised! The higher value pots worked great in the neck position but at first the bridge position was too thin & trebly for my taste... even with the tone knob on 2. It took a bit of fiddling with the pickup heights to get them balanced in terms of volume and to get a nice tone from the neck pickup.

I found this to be true too. Now that I've got everything dialed in I've decided not to keep my BB's.

Latest Threads